• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pemmican

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bo T said:
But, as insinuated, not a long term survival food. While, the meat and fat pemmican, sealed in rawhide, and stored in the ground, will keep for decades.

I think you overestimate and give pemmican more credit than it is due......As a "long term" survival food.....

Archaeologists have unearthed many foods that are edible after hundreds and even thousands of years....But, I don't recall pemmican being on the list.....I would say it is a short term food at best....

As a fun side note.....Chocolate has been found edible after hundreds of years... You also may be shocked to find out just how old the chocolate you are eating today is.....A friend of mine worked in a chocolate factory and told me that the chocolate they were re-processing was 17 years old.....Ever wonder where "holiday chocolate goes when the holidays end?..... :haha:

I think it was short-term only because it was eaten before it could get old - winters were long and food scarce.

colorado clyde said:
Archaeologists have unearthed many foods that are edible after hundreds and even thousands of years...
Honey found in Pharaoh's tombs - thousands
Bog butter - hundreds

Black Hand said:
I think it was short-term only because it was eaten before it could get old - winters were long and food scarce.

Or it was simply a way to utilize otherwise less desirable parts or ingredients...."Scraps"......All the little "tidbits" left over from processing....To make use of everything.... :hmm:

colorado clyde said:
Black Hand said:

Or it was simply a way to utilize otherwise less desirable parts or ingredients...."Scraps"......All the little "tidbits" left over from processing....To make use of everything.... :hmm:
It's an idea, but scraps/tidbits probably went in the pot when fresh. Small pieces of meat are a pain to dry and they don't reconstitute well. Have you ever dried burger meat? It never really rehydrates and has a mouth-feel like small stones...

Black Hand said:
colorado clyde said:
Black Hand said:

It's an idea, but scraps/tidbits probably went in the pot when fresh. Small pieces of meat are a pain to dry and they don't reconstitute well. Have you ever dried burger meat? It never really rehydrates and has a mouth-feel like small stones...
I like the flavor, but pert near choke on it due to the dryness. I think it would be OK with fat to coat it. I make a sandwich spread with half mayonnaise.

CC: maybe but it seems in many instances the buffalo
were killed in great numbers, more than enough to only use the best parts.

Okay, I give up. :surrender: No pemmican for me. Y'all can decide what constitutes authentic pemmican, I'm going back to MREs for long trips and Vienna sausages and trail mix for short trips. Oh, Snicker's bars, gotta have Snickers. HC/PC....eh....I'll put it in a leather bag....and no one will be any the wiser. Shhhhh!

colorado clyde said:
Even easier!.....Just use your smart-fone to have Micky D's or Chucky Cheeze do a drone delivery..... :wink:

Hey, now there's an idea!!! :haha:

Billnpatti said:
Okay, I give up. :surrender: No pemmican for me. Y'all can decide what constitutes authentic pemmican, I'm going back to MREs for long trips and Vienna sausages and trail mix for short trips. Oh, Snicker's bars, gotta have Snickers. HC/PC....eh....I'll put it in a leather bag....and no one will be any the wiser. Shhhhh!
Bill,
Don't give up on experimenting, but try experimenting with the rations & ingredients of the day (work out the recipes at home and then cook them over coals/flames). You'd be surprised what can be cooked from dried rations that are easily carried in a pack. Not the variety of MRE's, but still taste better on any day than MRE's or the odd, squishy pink tubes.

Other than when I had just started and had not figured out proper rations, I've always eaten well. We've had Elk, Venison, Bear, Moose, Swan, Squirrel, Trout and Goose in addition to stew, bread, Indian pudding, Fruit cake, Bear paws and a variety of items available at the time. Try fresh-grated Nutmeg on roasted meat.

We also never skimp on period beverages including, Rum, Shrub, Bounce, Whiskey and liqueurs.
Albert

Black Hand, you referred to Bounce. My mother made what she called "cherry bounce" with pie cherries, sugar and usually vodka. Is what you are referring to similar?

Yes. Fruit, alcohol, sugar and time.
I have a pie-cherry version made with white rum and sugar.

.Just use your smart-fone to have Micky D's or Chucky Cheeze do a drone delivery..

Wait because there will probably come a day when our grandkids, raised doing living history, having lived to our age, and be explaining to their grandkids' generation of tourists, that cooking over a fire is just fine, and that folks didn't call for air-drops of pizza or Chinese food in the 18th century. :shocked2: :shake: :nono:

LD

I believe the food/drink of the period are essential parts of the experience. Why deprive yourself of the full experience....?

I have a couple of decanters full of bounce sitting around here that have been around for several years. I guess I may have to sip some in front of the fire tonight.

Loyalist Dave said:
Wait because there will probably come a day when our grandkids, raised doing living history, having lived to our age, and be explaining to their grandkids' generation of tourists, that cooking over a fire is just fine, and that folks didn't call for air-drops of pizza or Chinese food in the 18th century. :shocked2: :shake: :nono:

LD
Eventually, living history displays will include people looking at a paper 'menu' and calling on a 'mobile phone'.

"Yes, they did use bikes and cars to deliver back then, air transport hadn't been invented"*

Forum arguments will include such questions as "Were mobile phones and cell phones two words for the same thing" "what percentage of Pizzas had pineapple on them**" and "is it really so wrong to use online ordering for pizza at a 1990s period event?"

* There will always be misconceptions about history, even amongst ourselves.
**100% of proper ones

Back