• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pendersoli, Lyman?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do a search on each of these rifles you will not find any complaints from anybody that owns one.

Do a search useing the word rocky for the Pedersoli Hawken. There has been alot of posts in the last few months by people that have bought one. They are the closest you can buy in a production rifle that you can call a Hawken.

Robert

I would agree with Russ if you compare the two closely there is a great difference, this is not a bad thing, there are just some differences in architecture and detail the main thing I see is the barrel size and weight, likely to be tapered, the LGP is more like the later plains rifles than the early Hawkins if you compare them side by side maybe you have to be into studying guns to see it,as I said it does not make the LGP any less of a gun they are probably the best production gun out there,if you want to get into picky details look at what makes a Leihigh or a Berks or some of the others where a simple carving pattern behind the lock panel or a small detail on the furniture finial makes it attribute to a school, the vast majority of kits of guns from the various schools get assembled with out the small details jn carving or furniture engraving/style that really makes them belong to that school.Often folks scoff at the mention of small details when comparing one gun to another but it is the small details that make a particular gun what it is.

That Santa Fe has been on TOW for a long time. I think they just droped the price to $759.95. You can get a Rocky Mountain Hawken with a walnut stock from Dixie Gun Works for $699.99. Which is what I would do. Simply because it is getting harder to find 520 balls for the Santa Fe. And if you want to cast your own the only mold we could find a couple of weeks ago when we were discussing casting 520 balls is from The Gun Works and it is Lyman Ideal mold that they still have in stock. Lyman has discontinued the 520 mold. And we coulnd'nt find one anywhere ealse.

Robert

"k. Lyman has discontinued the 520 mold. And we coulnd'nt find one anywhere ealse.'

Jeff Tanner in England would make one pretty reasonable if he is still making them.

I have a Rocky mountain hawkens by pedersoli in 54cal with the maple stock.My first and only ML thus far.When I bought it I had'nt done much research into the many different ML's on the market,just knew that this gun looked sweet.My whole buying decision was based on how good the gun looked to me.Did'nt know how close it was to a real hawkens (hats off to those who do)but its a fine looking ML,and shoots great.

So, everything else being the same (and the extra $$ not being a factor), what type of wood is valued more, or is more desirable to have for a gunstock, maple or walnut?

Walnut is an upgrade in many parts sets today, and a must for some style of guns if one wants to stay in line with originals.

I have owned both, and can tell you there both great products. Does one look more like an orginal than the other? That discusion will probaly continue on the edge of an argument for some time. I think the important thing here is that BOTH are accepted as copies, (less the hardcore detail as stated). Since you have narrowed it down to these two the cost dosen't appear to be a factor. There's nothing wrong with making a decision on one because you like the look.I'll say this, don't let the dollars make the decision if you don't have to, it usually leads to a wantsome heart (dissatisfaction)...Brad

Robert58 said:
WOW!!! $120.95 And I thought the one at The Gun Works was high at $68.95.

Robert

RCBS is real proud of their molds that are off the main line. I wanted to get a double cavity .350 mold awhile back. RCBS was one of the few offering one. It was over $100 for the blocks. At that price I figured my single cavity would be just fine.

"Maple"

I guess some like maple more than the other woods, but it cerainly looks out of place (particularly the high grade curly maple,) on a French fusil, NW gun, and others that were exclusively made of walnut or other wood, this cannot be considered a small detail from a historical view, one might as well use a plastic stock and benifit from its durability.

Robert58 said:
Maple.

Robert

On a Hawken style rifle, I'd use maple. It's harder, and doesn't dent and scratch as easy. Both walnut & maple are correct woods for Plains rifles.

Latest posts

Back