• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania rifle deer season 2016

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Since I had taken a big, old buck in Virginia with the flintlock, I wasn't excited about Pennsylvania's rifle season which always opens Monday after Thanksgiving. I did buy the basic license, but no extras like doe/bear/late flintlock. The old Husqvarna 30-06 remained in the safe as I drove to "camp" 2 hours away. Instead I had my .54 percussion still loaded from November 2015 and the little .62 flintlock.

Monday morning was a clear, cold 22F, and a heavy frost covered the dry leaves. I dressed light for the hike to a new stand, but carried extra layers in my pack. My fingers got cold through my gloves during the hike, and I had my doubts. At the stand I put on the heavy layers and stood rather than sit. Once the sun rose and was shining on my side of the ridge, it didn't feel too bad. Deer were moving because of hunting pressure and because the bucks were still chasing. The big surprise is that the deer didn't move as anticipated, and crossed the finger ridge below me rather than taking the easier path up the spine to where I was waiting. :confused: There is a 3 points to a side minimum antler restriction in this area. A group of six does and fawns appeared from the white pines below. They dropped down into the hollow and were followed by three small bucks that ran after them. The middle appeared legal, but didn't present a reasonable shot. More deer crossed both above and below me through the morning, some in the clear and others obscured by brush and pines. Around noon I heard rustling in the leaves as a big doe bounded over the ridge below me. She was followed by a white horned buck, but he was in the pines and seemed to only stop when he was obscured. Finally I watched as he dropped down into the deep, steep sided hollow. He paused just after crossing the bottom, and was in the clear. I won't admit to how far I thought it was until after I check with a range finder, but it was a very steep down angle. I held the front blade where the neck met the shoulder and CLICK!He was too far away to even hear that, so I cocked the hammer and tried again BOOM! Under the smoke I saw him roll. :) After reloading I removed the heavy layers, grabbed my camera and knife and made my way on down. He raised his head as I approached, but couldn't get up, so the coup de grace was offhand behind the head from about 25 yards.

After field dressing, the climb back UP was deemed absurd, so the longer (mile) walk down and out the bottom was taken instead.

While skinning, I noticed the left backstrap was the entry, and the ball literally fell to the ground as the hide was pulled down over the brisket. It was nearly spherical except for where it clipped the spine. The mass of the .605" roundball got it done. :wink:

Well that certainly doesn't look like excess, to me, just about right. Congratulations on a task well taken. That is a nice looking buck and a pretty rifle. Keep yer powder dry........robin :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll range that shot on Saturday if all goes well. The ball still weighs 322.5gr of its original 326.5gr and is round enough to be loaded again. Obviously it had shed quite a bit of velocity.

Great save!...Sounds like a great spot for deer.
I'm leaning towards large round balls for whitetails.
Congrats on a great deer season.

22fowl said:
Great save!...Sounds like a great spot for deer.
I'm leaning towards large round balls for whitetails.
Congrats on a great deer season.

.58s and .62s will definitely put them down. I have a .54 flintlock in the works.

Love the flintlock and 30 miles south of the center of the state definitely puts you in my old stomping grounds and close to where I still hope to retire. Nice job.

Congratulations on a fine buck, your rifle looks outstanding also, who made that fine piece of craftsmanship? :v

Its not a Germanic Jaeger, but my interpretation of a Jaeger restocked here; its more of a "Pennsylvania short rifle". :grin: The short barrel works well in tight quarters like the mountain laurel thicket that I often find myself in. At 7-1/2#, its relatively light, so the 2"+ butt helps when the .62 speaks. :wink:

I bought the parts, had the barrel inlet into a plain, straight grained piece of English Walnut, and carved in Jacks Mountain's transitional styled stock. A friend did the assembly and rough carving; I finished it.

Very nice muzzy buck. I hunt in the center of the state, and a lighter short rifle makes for a easier hunt. December 26 is coming up fast.

Back