• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perceptions on quality of rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hung load

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Although I did a lot of research before buying my .54 cal, Traditions Deerhunter kit, I'd be very interested to find out what the muzzleloading community's perception of this gun is. I purchased it because it fit my budget and allowed me to get into the hobby. However, I'm ignorant on what public opinion of this gun is.

Please comment on your opinion of quality, reliability, safety, etc. Feel free to be blunt.

Thank you

Well, you don't always get what you pay for, there are bargins and there are rip-offs, but as a rule, price is a rough guide to quality.
I've recently had occasion to work on several Traditions brand rifles belonging to friends and am not impressed with their quality. Your Deerhunter may be a fair value for the price but is not a great gun and can in no way pass for "traditional". I wish you had spent about fifty bucks more for a Lyman Trade Rifle which is one of those I'd call a bargin and can pass for a fur trade rendezvous gun, much like a T/C Hawken at about 2/3 the price.

if it makes you happy when you shoot it and you hit what your aiming at, more power to you. the pc police will be jumping in soon to tell you that its not correct, is not an exact copy of a real rifle, etc. we can't all see eye to eye because some people can't accept that we can't all shoot custom rifles. i have a traditions and i'm pleased with it. coyote joe, this was not directed at you.

hung load said:
I purchased it because it fit my budget and allowed me to get into the hobby. However, I'm ignorant on what public opinion of this gun is.
Please comment on your opinion of quality, reliability, safety, etc. Feel free to be blunt.
Thank you
Kind of like asking what do you think of my ford, or my chevy, etc, etc.

My answer is based upon my own belief that what anybody elses thinks of what I chose to shoot is completely irrelevant to me...mine are also very affordable, do exactly what I want, every time I want.

Therefore, Walrus has it right...if you like it and it meets all your needs and expectations, then nothing else matters, it's perfect...enjoy!
:thumbsup:

Second what Roundball stated. I welcome you to the world of muzzleloading. To paraphrase a famous writer: My job is to welcome you to the house of Muzzleloading, it up to you to choose which room.

hung load said:
Although I did a lot of research before buying my .54 cal, Traditions Deerhunter kit, I'd be very interested to find out what the muzzleloading community's perception of this gun is. I purchased it because it fit my budget and allowed me to get into the hobby. However, I'm ignorant on what public opinion of this gun is.

Thank you
I have several rifles of variuos makes, TC Traditions Lyman Mowrey CVA, of all of them from the bench my traditions Shenendoah 50 cal drives tacks, picked it up second hand, did a litl work to the lock and trigger assemblies, polished them out, and Ive been shooting in the top 10 at every rondy I've been at since last year, as the others stated, buy the best gun you can afford at the time to do what you want it to do, practice with it and most important of all HAVE FUN! ignore the pc nazis

Roundball - that is exactly the kind of question I'm asking. Imagine for a minute that I'm a European moving to America. I don't really have any idea of what kind of car to buy and am asking people's opinions. Your opinions obviously aren't influencing my buying purchase because the product is already paid for. But I'm still curious to know what people think; a reasonable question I think.

hung load said:
Roundball - that is exactly the kind of question I'm asking. Imagine for a minute that I'm a European moving to America. I don't really have any idea of what kind of car to buy and am asking people's opinions. Your opinions obviously aren't influencing my buying purchase because the product is already paid for. But I'm still curious to know what people think; a reasonable question I think.

OK, I think TC Hawkens are better.

As has been said "if you're happy with it, it gets you shooting BP, it brings you enjoyment"....you have accomplished your objective. I built a Lyman .54 cal GPR about 20 years ago and someday would like to own a better rifle. I have never handled or shot a Traditions gun, so I reckon I can't address that part of your original question. Best wishes & good shooting !

Vic

My wife picked up a Deerhunter kit a few years ago, and did it up real nice. It has taken several whitetials and brought much joy to us both.
(she hand-carved and stained it to look like a doe on both sides)
Blossom.jpg

My wife picked up a Deerhunter kit a few years ago, and did it up real nice. It has taken several whitetials and brought much joy to us both.
(she hand-carved and stained it to look like a doe on both sides)
Blossom.jpg

I can't fairly judge Traditions muzzleloaders as I have never owned one. I do believe they are imported, which IMHO puts one strike upon them. I must admit I do own a Pedersoli Shotgon, and a Lyman deerstalker, both of which are made in Italy. However, I must also admit I favor Thompson/Center muzzleloaders. I feel for the money, the quality is there. My T/C White Mountain Carbine, .54 caliber is a favorite of mine. However, if you like the looks, feel, and performance of your particular ml, who am I to say otherwise? Let your Traditions ml be the start of a ml collection. Think of the fun you will have comparing, and shooting, when you make a new addition to your collection.

The best policy is to buy the most expensive gun you can afford once you're sure you like the hobby. I'd rather have one good gun than 4 or 5 foreign made clunkers or non-replicas.

Hey Hungload,welcome to muzzleloading. Now that the bug has bitten you, use your gun as you see fit, and never give up looking for the perfect firearm. As far as I can tell,most production guns are close in quality, shoot as well as you can, but lack the styling of "real" muzzleloaders. IMHO, smoothrifle's of the southern persuation are the way to go! :blah:

Pathfinder

Well I have CVA Kentucky and it shoots great. Its my first one that I've had that I used. Others were wall hangers. I too am going to add to my ML collection at some time. TC is first on my list. But I also have looked at Lyman and others. So I'm also wondering Spain , Italy, USA, Etc. Which country makes the best for say under$400. and then say $600. and up. I know a few people that are reading this forum that are interested in buying for the first time. We have a lot of experienced shooter here. I know most rifles will shoot very well. But the lock and trigger on my CVA is nothing to brag about. So next one is going to have a better quality trigger.

I have a T/C Hawken that I bought in a Pawn Shop for $100.00 out the door. I got lucky it was made around 1990 to 1995 as it doesn't have the AQL bored in the muzzle and it looked almost new. I refinished the stock with TruOil and it looks great. If you want a T/C Hawken buy a complete stock on Ebay and get a T/C Roundball Barrel (1 in 66 twist) from T/C's custom shop (specify, without AQL, if you will only be shooting Round Balls. That is the best production rifle that I can think of on a budget.

Now if you have $900.00 or so take a look at the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken. That is the number one production rifle that I know of right now.

Robert

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

hung load said:

See, the problem with asking a question like this is, some people are afraid to give you their honest opinion. If they do, someone will accuse them of being the HISTORIC POLICE. They even warn you about the police before anyone has a chance to contribute.

And, because of this prevailing attitude, you get answers like, "Whatever makes you happy", which is not an answer at all and helps no one.

Between the anti-historically-correct faction and the people walking on egg shells, it is becoming increasingly difficult to have a decent conversation here.

If the more traditional, than Traditions bug bites you, look around for an Ithica Hawken, which is supposed to be a closer copy than TC's. :winking:
I'm lookin' for one of Jessie Holder's Tennessee "poor boys" myself. He made 'em just about 5 miles from my place, so I think that's what I want. :hmm:

I have a Deerhunter Flintlock. I bought two of them at a very good price and sold one of them almost covering the cost of both. First shot out of it hunting dropped a nice buck for me. My first with a flintlock. I am pretty happy with mine, but I got it real cheap.
There is no bridle on the tumbler. When you get the gun, first thing, cock it and push side to side on the hammer a little with it cocked. If the lock lets go from the side to side slop, make them give you a new lock. The sights are screwed on and are pretty much junk. They will break at the very worst moment if you don't take the time to replace them. It is a cheap gun to get started with. It is perfectly servicable to use for years if you don't get heavy into the hobby. If you do, you will want better before long. I bought the one I did so I could see how well I was going to like flintlocks before I invested any serious money in one. As a starter gun, it will do you just fine.

The gentleman asked about the quality of the gun, not the historical correctness of it. As quality goes, it's an entry level muzzleloader, better than most Jukar's, CVA's, and Miriku's. Most of the other European guns are better built (there's a whole quality range for them), and some are even historically accurate. (read cost more bucks) Still leaving HC out of the equation, I think the North American made guns, and kits are far superior. Heck it's a good place to start. Later with a little luck, and a love for the sport, maybe he'll start lookin for his next one, and maybe it'll be something from MBS, or TOTW, or Chambers. Something a bit more challenging for the skills he's learned.

Bill

Back