• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perceptions on quality of rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not much up on the newer rifles and don't have any ideas about the Traditions rifle. My first rifle was a juker that we started calling junker. This was over 30 years ago and the spanish stuff at that time was junk. None of the parts were heat treated to last, so the locks didn't work to well. The Italians were doing much better but the best was U.S. made. I have gone through many rifles and pistols over the years. I don't think much of the CVAs. A lot of the companies have goten a little better over the years. At least you are not starting with a Juker. Have fun with your new rifle, it may be just the right choise. Do a lot of shooting, it may take 100 shots before it shoots good. Work up a load that works for what you want to do, it don't take 100 grains of powder to punch a hole in paper but you might want that much if you are hunting.

i'm not anti-historically-correct,just tired of being told that whatever i own is incorrect or junk by somebody who says save your money and buy a custom rifle. maybe thats not what i want at this time. not everybody can afford one because of the shaky economy. the man asked about the quality of his rifle and i gave him my opinion.

Playfarmer,

Give my compliments to your wife for the beautiful execution of an original idea. I had to look twice to see the doe.

Old Salt

I had a Traditions Deerhunter and it worked fine and I liked it until I got a semi-custom Pa. long rifle that has a large Siler lock. Now I know that I prefer a long barrel with a full stock, and a large frizzen over a big pan that fits tight against the barrel.

playfarmers said:
My wife picked up a Deerhunter kit a few years ago, and did it up real nice. It has taken several whitetials and brought much joy to us both.
(she hand-carved and stained it to look like a doe on both sides)
Blossom.jpg

I agree with Old Salt. Complements to your wife for a great "customization" job.

I'd hate to comment on your choice of rifle as I have not seen it nor handled it. From what I have heard and read, your choice is at the lower end of the quality scale. Doesn't mean it's manure or a lousy choice, just that there are better quality choices (and more expensive) available. As to if it's the right choice for you, that is something only you can answer. If you want to do historical reenacting/trekking, it's not the right choice. If you want to be a casual camper/shooter/rendvous type person, it will probably fit, just be ready for the "PC" police. As for anything else, I'm happy you went with a more traditional style muzzleloader than an in-line. I started with a Lyman GPR. When I moved on to a flinter, I sold the GPR to a beginner shooter for a low price, only asking him that if he moved on, that he would sell it to a beginer just like was selling it to him. Last I heard, it's "broken" in two more shooters.

The same myself. I saw it had to go back and look again, shedid a really nice job of that, its something youll like or hate for most of us on here me I like getting a bit different. :grin:

In response to Old Salt, Stumpkiller, and FW. My wife thanks you for your compliments. She did this all on her own, and now wants to do another kit. Maybe next year we can afford a better kit for her to work on.

Hung Load,
Personally I would'nt have touched the rifle you purchsed. But being that you did, practice with it as much as you can. get as familiarized as you can with that type of rifle and start putting your bucks away for something better. Muzzleoading is about getting back into history and bonding with our forefathers and the trials and hardships they had to endure with the primitive weapons that they had at their disposal at those times. as you become more involved and experienced you're going to find your niche in the world of muzzleoading. You may become patial to sidelocks or you may become partial to flintlocks. Whichever the case it's loads of fun either way. When it comes to quality, guns are like diamonds, the more you learn of each the more you learn of quality. The bottom line in quality firearms comes down to what you want to pay. And make no mistake, you get what you pay for. If you stick with muzzleoading long enough you'll want a custom built rifle. Trust me on this one, you'll have no regrets.

walruskid1 said:
i'm not anti-historically-correct,just tired of being told that whatever i own is incorrect or junk by somebody who says save your money and buy a custom rifle. maybe thats not what i want at this time. not everybody can afford one because of the shaky economy.

That's finbe, but nobody was addressing you or siggesting that anyine should purchase a custom rifle. You raised this issue out of the blue. There's no need to defend your position because no one was addressing it.

the man asked about the quality of his rifle and i gave him my opinion.

Yes, but you strayed off topic with comments about not wanting to be forced to be PC. That wasn't an issue until you raised it and that's how the PC issue usually gets raised - by someone with an axe to grind, looking for an oppurtunity to drag it up again.

Sorry if that wasn't your intent, but it was perceived that way. I do apologize if I'm wrong.

flyboy said:
Muzzleoading is about getting back into history and bonding with our forefathers and the trials and hardships they had to endure with the primitive weapons that they had at their disposal at those times.

That's true for some, but not for everyone. I try to remember that when speaking to a newcomer. They may just want to go to the range and shoot. That's a good thing too. :grin:

Claude Mathis said:
That's true for some, but not for everyone. I try to remember that when speaking to a newcomer. They may just want to go to the range and shoot. That's a good thing too.

That's where it's at for me...shoot a lot and go hunting...maybe if I live long enough to retire I'll have the time to investigate/develop further interests...but right now, I already spend an inordinate amount of time just doing those two things...truck's already loaded for tomorrow morning's range trip!!
:grin:

Like all the others I am a T/C fan, however, here is the God honest truth. I have a 36 cal T/C and a 32 cal Traditions. At equal distance the Traditions will out shoot the T/C, however, the quality of the T/C is much better and the difference is only slight. As Forest Gump said S*!t happens!!

That's true for some, but not for everyone. I try to remember that when speaking to a newcomer. They may just want to go to the range and shoot. That's a good thing too. :grin: [/quote]
You are so right Claude. When I built my first ML rifle I was totally into the challenge of trying to see just how accurate an ML rifle could be and accuracy is still a priority to me. I know many other people who are happy if the rifle just goes bang. There are folks who are interested only in hunting and others who never fire anything but blank loads.Some are more into building guns than shooting them and some are more into history than into the guns per say. Most of us combine some degree of interest in all of the above. :v

Question is, Do you like the rifle? Then go out and enjoy it. Quit worrying about what other folks think of it. You're the one shooting the thing. You're not here to please the PC police. Both my rifles are working guns, a Cabelas Hawkin Hunter and a T/C Renegade. Neither will be up to the standards of the PC types. They do kill deer, bear, and numerous other targets. Thats all I ask of them.

I don't believe in the concept of not doing something until you can afford the best. If something is safe and functional and will stand up to the use you intend, buy it, use it, enjoy it and learn. If it's still in one piece, sell or trade it for something that suits your needs more or is just plain nicer. (neither do I subscribe to the notion that you should never sell a gun)

I have all T/C rifles, only one of which I bought, and think they are much better than Traditions, but I've been to Friendship and been in the gunmakers hall.

I will have to use, enjoy, and learn from my Thompson/Centers for a while. :winking:

I've had both good and poor quality guns. My bad experiences with the poor quality ones tended to dampen my enthusiam for the sport and still carry negative feelings to this day. Sometimes, as old John Ruskin used to say, it's better to spend a little more to get something that works than spend less, only to have to go back and buy the better anyway. That said, I have seen nimrods at the range with cheaper CVA sidelocks which I, personally, would not care to own, who are having a really good time with them. Once they learn more, they can move up. Or maybe they will stay satisfied with what they have. It's ok by me.

A lot of this upgrade stuff or attitude depends on what your expectations are. You can buy a T/C and get a well-made gun, but if it's not as accurate as you would like or the gun's lines are not that pleasing to you, the build quality won't make a difference. From a mechanical standpoint, I would pay a bit more for a better made gun than some of the hit-or-miss bargains I've seen out there. At least you will eliminate getting hung up cussing it (and yourself) out at the range and can get on to playing with it.

I will say this. "Custom" guns are only as good as the maker's skills. There's a guy who brings "custom" rifles to shows that he wants $800 and up for. He offers custom "engraving", too. I have seen his work and the finish is pretty mediocre. As to the engravings, they look to be done with one of those electric pen "engravers" and not a hand=held graver plus the artistic level suggests he farms the work out to the local daycare. Still, people buy his guns. Had an old regular shooter at the N/S Skirmish Association proudly show off his "custom" conical rifle and I could tell it was from this maker or one of his kin. Think he paid $1000 for it and the gun honestly didn't look near as nice as a CVA Mountain Rifle. And this is a guy who shoots an original Zouave. So, I can't say dollars always equals quality.

As for the PC rule, I guess that depends on what you are trying to do. If you go buckskinning and want to be as authentic as you can, that makes a difference. If you are breaking into it and can only afford to go so far, that's ok. Guess it's really up to the organization you are looking to join. I once entertained Civil War re-enacting with a group here in Virginia (I'm right in the Bull Run area) and found out I would have to work my way up, depending upon what I could afford. Big money and a horse, then maybe an officer. It was just like the real Civil War in that respect, which was a pretty big turn-off. They may have been PC as to equipment, but they seemed pretty short of fun.

RedFeather

I bought a Traditions Hawken used (for about $130) about ten years ago. It has been reliable and fun gun to shoot. I don't renact or rendesvouz, just shoot for fun. The only problem is every few years I get a rusty spot aboyut 3 inches from the breech. I clean it religiously but every once in a while when I run the first patch through prior to shooting it comes out brown. Doesn't seem to hurt the accuracy although I am not a competitive shooter. I eventualy inherited a Jukar that my dad built in ~ 1974. I had bought it as a kit for him as a Christmas present. The quality of the Traditions is far better than the Jukar and my 4-H club has several T/Cs that are better still. But they are all fun to shoot and have all been reliable.

For fun or deer hunting and even for local club shoots I think your Traditions will be great. I admire the PC guns and would love to have one but I am very happy with what I have too.

Back