• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milcol

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Picked up a replica Parker Hale 1853 rifle what would best suited for caps,I see RWS1075plus and RWS 1081 caps are in good supply,what is the difference between the two,being a BPCR shooter this is new to me.
Thank You

The 1081 is a musket cap which is what your PH should use unless someone has changed the nipple.The 1075 caps are for smaller nipples.

As Scots Jim mentioned, the original P-H nipple will use the larger 1081 musket cap which has four flanges (or 'wings' or 'ears') and an inside dia. of approx. 0.23". The 1075 cap, while sold as a musket cap, is smaller with an id of approx. 0.17" and is straight sided with no flanges.

Coot,it is my understanding the RWS 1075 caps are for the same application as No.11 caps just giving a bit tighter fit.

A bit tighter is an understatement.

There is no way a #11 or a 1075 cap will fit a musket nipple, even with a big hammer. :rotf:

Didn't say it would.I was addressing the difference between an RWS 1075 and a standard No.11 cap. :slap:

Think of the standard military cap for a civil war long gun as a top hat. it has the cap and then flanges out the bottom. the flanges make it easier to remove after friing. when fired the flanges "spring" up to the striking flat part of the cap. There are a couple of manufacturers. CCI makes 2 different caps one for reenactors, and a standeard cap. On the outside of their tins it is clearly marked "musket cap", or "musket reenactor cap". The RWS have the No. 1081 on the red label, and if you can find them, they are still out there Navy Arms Co. the ones that I have found come in a metal tin that states wing musket caps Model 2000. The wingless caps are a bugger to remove from muskets. they seem to mold to the nipple(cone). Anyway the ones I have treid have. I have a tin of those floating around the house that someone gave me.

If the nipple has not been changed to a smaller nipple, the original nipples were musket nipples and would require a 1081 cap.

Good luck with that!
My buddy Bill just came back from the NMLRA Winternationals, where he was looking for RWS caps of both types (for both of us)- and found none at all - he was able to get 4 cans of CCI musket caps and 1000 of the CCI magnum #11s - and those were all there were.
mhb - Mike

I keep checking net sites,nobody has caps of any kind.Or even primers for that matter.

We just bought 3000 of the RWS 1081 from Black Creek about a month ago.

Foster From Flint

I just bought a tin(actually plastic) of RWS No.1081 red label at my local gun and tackle shop. "Bob's Gun and Tackle", Hastings Mi. Paid $8.99 for the tin. with tax thats ahhhh 8.99x6%=$9.53. I pick em up when ever I see any. I am going to the Kalmamzoo Living History Show in about 15 minutes. "The Jag Shop" is generally there and he brings caps with him. I'll buy a sleeve if I see em. I generally have on hand 4k of musket and about the same for pistol.

Back