• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion nipple cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you keep your percussion nipple dry from the elements when you hunt? Do you hunt with the cap on the nipple? What is the correct and safest way to do this?

Thank you,
Billk

billk said:
How do you keep your percussion nipple dry from the elements when you hunt? Do you hunt with the cap on the nipple? What is the correct and safest way to do this?

Thank you,
Billk
Google up Kap Kovers...I used them for several years on my caplocks...got them from[url] www.octoberCountry.com[/url] ...they also serve as a positive safety

Last edited by a moderator:
I seal the edge of the cap and base of the nipple with melted wax from the candle I always carry with my hunting stuff.

I use a foam ear plug on top of the cap, easy to see, pops off with a flick of the finger.

6 years ago I hunted elk in Colorado and out of the 9 day season it rained 7 days....sometimes only a drizzle and othertimes a downpour. Took no precautions other than to ensure the cap was seated "home" on the nipple and the hammer was at half cock. After 5 days doubt crept in as to whether the charge would "go off" and back at camp I took a practice shot and everything was fine......a normal big bang. Sometimes after a shot when it's raining, I stick some electrician tape over the bore. Colorado elk hunting {20 yrs.} nearly always entails some hunting in the rain and have never experienced a failure to ignite the charge and using no doodads......Fred

I take some small drip line hose or oxygen hose and cut it into small pieces and slide it over the nipple. It forms a ring around the the base of the cap and the nipple. You can even fire with it on. I have been thinking about getting a Kap Kover though.

I use the wife's finger nail polish. When the cap is on the nipple, I paint a bead around the seal. Normally just do this for the first shot but if staying out for a few days carry a small bottle with me. It's never failed me yet.

I'm with roundball on this. The Kap-Kover is the best. I have used one for 15+ years now with great success. Besides keeping everything dry you will never have an accidental discharge. Safety first.

Disclaimer: This suggestion may not be allowed in your state please check your regs.

I can't do this in Wa. during ML season as it requires that the ignition be exposed to the the elements. However, outside of ML season (bear season) I can. Take those rubber condom looking things made for the barrel and slip it over the flash guard around your nipple. It completely covers the nipple and you can shoot with it on.

Here is a link to the product I'm talking about.
[url] http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=154[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The first year I hunted with my .50 T/C cap lock it rained hard every day for the week. I didn't get a shot all week and never discharged once during the week. I was as careful as I could be to keep water off the rifle with my hat,standing over it while leaning it on a tree, or shielding it with my body while seated. At the end of the week I cleared the load by fireing it off with one pull of the triger. I'v done the same many times over the past 30 some yrs and probebly will this year. :thumbsup:

Now now Lone hunter if you want to use your wifes nail varnish then thats ok, you don,t have to make excuses like M/Ling. Ofcourse you should carry the bottle with you as you never know when you may get a chipped nail :rotf: :hatsoff:

Those covers I was talking about are sold by Traditions. They also have a little tube that resembles the clear tubs used in Aquariums to cover the sides of the percussion cap. Here is the photo of the Traditions product with the tube and rubber cover.
PA120060.jpg

PA120056.jpg

This is the before photo. I need to do some cleaning.

PA120058.jpg

This is the after photo with the rubber cover.

Heck, Britsmoothy busted me. :surrender: I just figured that if I was carrying a stylish over the shoulder purse and a leather thigh length, fringed mini-skirt, I should also have some nail polish. My designer wool pants really set the outfit off. One thing I will not do is wear heels in the woods. :wink:

SunSetter said:
I'm with roundball on this. The Kap-Kover is the best. I have used one for 15+ years now with great success. Besides keeping everything dry you will never have an accidental discharge. Safety first.

And interestingly, after having used them and realizing that they also serve as a safety, I came to think of them more as a safety device with waterproofing as a secondary issue.

Latest posts

Back