• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Personal Care Lubricant for Muzzleloaders-What do you think?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that there are as many patch lubes for muzzleloaders out there as there are members. Last night, I started thinking about if there was some form of water soluable patch lube that could be tried for use in muzzleloaders.
I thought that it might make cleanup between shots easier that fat or grease based lubes. The idea of using water-based personal lubes popped into my mind as an option.
I have not tried any product nor searched the forum for any previous posts. Thought that I would throw the idea out there to see what you all think.

You can only find out if you give it a try. As long as the lube prevents the patch from burning it seems to work.
We all have magic formulas cooked up in the kitchen with arcane knowledge, but iv shot spit, wheel berring grease, transmission fluid, lard, possum fat, mink oil, olive oil, olive oil and bees wax, bore butter, moose milk, and can’t tell the difference
Now a true blood shooter who gets 50-5 x may see a differnce, a 1/4 inch at fifty yards. But I was never that shooter at best, and at my age ain’t that shooter now.
Shoot it, clean it and tell us how your jerkins worked.
And don’t listen when your buddies tell you they get a hint of lavender from your shooting

I know that there are as many patch lubes for muzzleloaders out there as there are members. Last night, I started thinking about if there was some form of water soluable patch lube that could be tried for use in muzzleloaders.
I thought that it might make cleanup between shots easier that fat or grease based lubes. The idea of using water-based personal lubes popped into my mind as an option.
I have not tried any product nor searched the forum for any previous posts. Thought that I would throw the idea out there to see what you all think.
Why not try searching the internet for front stuffing personal lubricant and see what pops up. Perhaps you could come up with some suggestions.

OK, but most guys will want a 'hidden label' container for it at the range!!:p

Back