• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Photos of a gun test

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Hemken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw this method of proofing a gun years ago in the back of a old Dixie Catalog, and have been proofing my guns this way ever since. Though that fish tail makes it hard to get in a standard tire, but it isn't going anywhere. I proof with 300 grains of FF and two charges of shot. That moves a gun/tire on snow back 3 feet every proof.

Shooting this gun in the Gun Builders Match up in Marshfield Wisconsin next weekend. You have to build the gun over the last year and have never shot it in competition. So waited until this weekend to proof it. It shoots real well, it's a matchlock after all! (and my first blue gun)

Enjoy

Patrick
bluetest.jpg
bluefired.jpg

Patrick,
Did you forge the barrel yourself? If you bought the barrel why did you feel the need to proof it? Just curious. Forging from a flat iron skelp could mean flaws in the weld and need for proofing. Iron that was smelted, poured and wrought in the 18th century also could have pockets of dross, in short, inclusions, that would make the barrel walls weak. However, if it was manufactured with modern steel, as in made by one of the barrel maker, it has no inclusions and there is no welded seam to worry about, it is way stronger than needed for black powder. There simply is no need to proof it. It should also take a proof load without harm. But it just goes against every instinct in me to over load a modern barrel that way which is for shooting black powder only.

Perhaps you just like to hear the load roar and the huge cloud of smoke and see the tire retreat three feet. If that is so, my hat is off to you.

For myself, I hate to spend 150 to 300 hours on a gonne and then try to destroy it. Just my thoughts and I hope you won't take any offense from them.
God bless.
volatpluvia

Thanks for posting :) !PCC gunsmithing program we allways tested fired the action with the tire!I would assume you breeched a Hydrallic tube?What is the barrel/bore specifications?Nice work :applause: !

Where do I start...

I machine my barrel from hydrolic tubing and every barrel I make before leaving my hands is checked that way. If I machine out one for another, I am very confident that they will proof it the same. Don't have any fear of one of my barrels going, but after that proof I feel confident that nothing is going to happen. That's why I feel content to build the entire gun. IF the day should come that one barrel did go, I would be proud to hang it on the wall and educate all to proofing a barrel.

If I buy a gun/barrel from another, I am even more apt to proof it before shouldering the gun myself.

I can't imagine anyone shooting a gun without proofing trusting everything to another skill, poor workmanship, or poor materials.

Black powder is safer than most, a flint/matchlock ignition system is safer than a percussion and other closed ignition systems. But things happen, and I don't want them happening to me or those around me. Education is everything when it comes to firearm safety.

Patrick

Patrick,
Thanks for your answer. I see that you have your reasons. :bow: However, I will never proof a barrel from a reputable barrel maker. The only barrel failures I have heard of in modern gonnes are from short starting and firing or some similar goof by the shooter. So I feel pretty safe. I am glad for the concern you have for barrels you make for others. :grin:
God bless.
volatpluvia

Don't get me wrong I am very jealous my BP's are limited to Kits and Mass produced I don't have any of the others let alone am at a level where I can make them (still working with kits). I just am more partial to green. :grin:

You can loose a green matchlock, but it's hard to loose a blue one. I just got tired of the same old finishes, did enough guns the old tradisional way then started looking into painted ones. (plus it was a bad piece of wood)

Keep with the kits, big headachs scratch building if you don't have the set up to fully do it. Find a friend with the tools and skills and latch on. If it wasn't for my buddy Chuck, I probably would never have started building guns a couple of years ago.

Need any help along the way or someone to ask quesitons, please feel free to ask.

Pat

Thanks for the advise I need all I can get. Even though its not green it really is a great looking gun. :hatsoff:

You don't know what you are getting into! It all starts with Uncle Chuck sending you information, then all of a sudden you get the urge to build and paint your own match lock!

Just a warning, the bug bit me a few years ago!

Pat

The gun placed third in a contest of three shooters. The target was at 40 yards, and the other's sported rifles for the match. I got my mark on the target, outer edge 1 o'clock. See "Photos" for pic postings. All new guns shot great. Will make up another for next year. (two more in the works now)

Pat

Back