• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picked up a Jager

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

combat32

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got this at a local shop, engraving is pretty nice, but wondering about the age of this rifle. It looks old but then again not super old if that makes any sense.

There are no maker marks on it anywhere I can find, no proofs, nothin. Bore is 50 caliber and it looks decent and shootable, any way to give an approximate date to this piece? thanks
000_0001_zpsfe87d1c5.jpg
[/URL][/img]
000_0003_zps85a498cd.jpg
[/URL][/img]
000_0006_zps12394be2.jpg
[/URL][/img]
000_0001_00_zpsf31edc11.jpg
[/URL][/img]
000_0002_00_zps534af799.jpg
[/URL][/img]
000_0003_00_zpsc05cdac8.jpg
[/URL][/img]
000_0004_zps3d5e9132.jpg
[/URL][/img]
000_0001_01_zpsc6fe0734.jpg
[/URL][/img]
0924140841-Copy2_zpsc374cb4d.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I have nothing but I am sure someone might.
But to increase the chance at it getting figured out find the proof and or makers marks on the barrel and get some pictures posted for us.

Cynthialee said:
But to increase the chance at it getting figured out find the proof and or makers marks on the barrel and get some pictures posted for us.

There are no proofs, unless they are under the barrel maybe, I have read about some Jagers with no markings but I don't know much on the subject.

combat32 said:
Cynthialee said:

There are no proofs, unless they are under the barrel maybe, I have read about some Jagers with no markings but I don't know much on the subject.

Germany didn't have a proof house and laws requiring it until 1891 and I'm guessing 1850ish on that gun. However there were some imported barrels used in Germany, so its possible it could have a Belgian or English proof.

Also, it wasn't uncommon for makers to maker their guns on the bottom, where the proof marks would be. In any case, if there are marks they're likely to be on the bottom barrel flat just ahead of the breech plug.

the marks will/should be on the bottom barrel flat right in front of the breech plug.

This is the only mark I could find, looks like an alignment mark to me, also a pic of the backside of the lock.
0924141552_zps0ed93896.jpg
[/URL][/img]
0924141555_zpsf2cf8e16.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Looks like a late 19th century rifle, good quality, get it checked out, looks like it would be a good shooter. You have done well.

cheers

Heelerau

Wow! It always amazes me when looking at some of the detail, time and care put into Jaegers.

It looks similar to rifles made in Suhl doesnt it. I can't see the triggerguard style that well. The style of lockplate may be the best indication of age. I'm just not sure what that is.

Question about the nipple on this rifle, it seems

to be of a small diameter, smaller than a #10 cap,

I can squeeze down a number 10 and it kinda fits

if you know what I mean.

Did they use a smaller diameter cap back in the day or is this nipple just wore out?
09291415151_zps33b284c5.jpg
[/URL][/img]

It's possible that there were smaller caps made way back in the 1820-1870 time period but I haven't heard of any.

The oldest reference I have is an old 1978 Dixie Gunworks catalog.

As you may know, in the back of the Dixie catalogs there are a number of tables showing all sorts of interesting things.

Among the things they show in my catalog is a table showing what the old cap sizes were/are.

It shows several companies #10 (.167 ID X .178 lgth, Alcan), #11 (.170 ID X .190 lgth, Remington), #12 (.175 ID X .200 lgth, Winchester).

There could be several reasons for the small diameter cone on the nipple.

Back "in the day", the priming compound was very corrosive. Although your breech looks very clean, I've seen dozens of old muzzleloaders with the outside of the barrel in the breech area around the nipple that looked worse than Betty-Lu's face during her teenage years. :grin:

Then, some former owner may have filed the outside of the nipple cone down to get rid of the corroded surface.

Latest posts

Back