• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picking nits - sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How traditionally "correct" is it to have a square notch in the rear sight and a square post for the front? This may be picking nits, but I am getting to the stage where my eyes need all the help I can get and I find I can shoot a bit better with this than with the traditinal "v" or rounded notch in the rear and a tapered front.
I am building a Jacob Dickert style gun.

Since most of the enjoyment to these is shooting them do you need period sights for say shooting matches ect. If not and you are going to use it for your own enjoyment ect put a period looking Peep on it.

Build your gun the way you want to, there is not too many things worse than making something you can't use...

PC can also mean Personaly Correct !

If it is good and clear enough for you to see well enough to shoot comfortably with the i would say it is PC!

Far to much is put on PC than what one likes in gun.
If someone else doesn't like the way it looks then tell them to not look at it. :imo:

I think if some one specificaly asks how PC or traditionaly correct an item is then an answer base on what we know of the originals is in order whenther we ourselves care for the PC factor or not...How early have the closed buckhorn sights been dicumented? I have not seen anything to put them into the Dickert "era".

:agree:--Me too Old Snake. I use a flat top post up front and a deep, square notch rear where open sights are required as at rendezvous shoots. For hunting and plinking I like a peep rear. The simple little "lolly pop" rear peep threaded into a taped hole in the tang is totally PC, many old rifles have such peep sights and crossbows used peep sights before gunpowder. However, they are not "rendezvous legal". They don't say you can't have one, just you can't use it in a shoot.

Back