• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Piebald Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old army depot in western NY State, in the finger lakes area, is loaded with albino deer. All fenced in so they're a captive audience. At least it was the last time I was out here a few years ago.

Isn't piebald just a variation of albinism? Sort of albino light.
Albino deer have only the albino gene and have nothing in common with the Piebald deer which can have problems other than just being piebald. I am going by what I have read from a reliable source.

I was told down south it’s considered bad luck to shoot one. Is that true Olskool?

I mounted one for a guy and I’ve mounted quite a few animals for him since. It didn’t seem to affect his luck.

By the way, I don’t believe in luck.

Often but certainly not always, piebalds will have something anatomically off such as short legs or something. View attachment 340241View attachment 340241
Jim, I would say that, considering the huge number of deer you have mounted over the years, what you contend is fact. I’m sure there are plenty of piebald deer (and other critters) that are normal, other than their color.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I'm not one for genetic engineering because a deer is a piebald or has an unusual rack. They're wild animals not livestock.
I concur. Just because a deer(s) rack does not fit up to someone’s standards does not mean it needs to be “culled” from the herd. Many hunters are so big buck, big rack, brainwashed that they have allowed themselves to lose sight of what hunting is all about.

If there are, in fact, normal piebald deer out there, such as JimK has stated, IMO, that it does not necessarily constitute a threat to the herd. However, in locations where it is legal to kill a piebald deer, I doubt there’s any practical reason to not kill one, other perhaps someone’s feelings towards them.

About 1989/1990 in TN, there was a doe killed that had two legs growing out of the back of its neck up high. It also had a white back with a complete set of teets on its back. I saw that deer mounted on display in a taxidermist window. I had a picture of it somewhere.
Now that’s something that needed to be culled.

The true story, as I was told, from the hunters buddy about that deer is, the hunter saw that deer come running through the woods. Obviously it had been spooked. He saw those legs out of the back of its upper neck and thought it was a buck, so he managed to hit it on the run. When he walked over to the dead deer and saw what it was, and the fact that it was actually a doe, he went to the nearest phone and called the game warden. After explaining the situation, the game warden told him that he would come out and look at the deer but he was going to give the hunter a ticket because it was a doe. The hunter replied “never mind” and hung up the phone.

After a while the deer wound up in the taxidermist’s window. I never found if the hunter was charged or not.

Last edited:
I've also seen White and Scewbald Red deer hinds in N.of Scotland. They sceemed to be quite common in One Glen..
As for BP to RSA, some years ago I used to take BP in 12 bore cases ( No one ever questioned why they were so light) and never had any troubles. I took My .461 LRMR and Flint and Caplock shot guns for Competition. But BP was difficiult to find when I last went about 15 years ago. My local friends tell me things have become rather Difficult in resent years, even for ML's.. Old Dog..

Last edited:
We have to understand that just because something can happen it doesn’t necessarily mean it will happen. Yes, piebalds can have defects due to the recessive gene, but the one here this year is the only one I’ve ever seen (personally) with a visible defect.

Are piebald deer bad genetics?

Piebald Deer: How Rare Are They?

Unfortunately for piebald deer, this rare genetic condition can sometimes include severe deformities that run deeper than hair color. This is because some of the same genes that code for coat color also code for other physical traits. Crooked legs, hooves and spine are sometimes part of the visible problems.Apr 9, 2024
From a season
This from a google search, lots of information.
Robin

Attachments

• piebald-buck-david-osborn.jpg
    piebald-buck-david-osborn.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 0
Old army depot in western NY State, in the finger lakes area, is loaded with albino deer. All fenced in so they're a captive audience. At least it was the last time I was out here a few years ago.
They are white color phase. Not albino. They have black nose, black hooves and brown eyes

They are white color phase. Not albino. They have black nose, black hooves and brown eyes

I guess for me there's a difference between shooting a piebald because they're unique and you want one and killing them to weed them out. Afterall they were here a long time before we got involved and if they're so genetically inferior then nature will take care of it.

I guess for me there's a difference between shooting a piebald because they're unique and you want one and killing them to weed them out. Afterall they were here a long time before we got involved and if they're so genetically inferior then nature will take care of it.
To be clear, the one here at my house is safe from me. I can’t speak for the neighbors, but I ain’t shooting her. Not that I have a problem with it. I just ain’t interested in shooting a deer with little fear of people.

If we let nature take care of things then come get some of these wolves in Idaho, hang up your guns and sit on the couch come huntin season???

Are piebald deer bad genetics?

Piebald Deer: How Rare Are They?

Unfortunately for piebald deer, this rare genetic condition can sometimes include severe deformities that run deeper than hair color. This is because some of the same genes that code for coat color also code for other physical traits. Crooked legs, hooves and spine are sometimes part of the visible problems.Apr 9, 2024
From a season
This from a google search, lots of information.
Robin
Key word here “can sometimes”.

Hey Stykbow, a few years ago, I had another farm up on White Oak (you know where that is, other readers may not). One summer we saw an albino deer in our field several times and she stuck out like a sore thumb.

She disappeared by gun season so I figured someone shot her. Turns out, a guy up the road owned some exotic animals and she had escaped his farm. Fortunately, he was able to catch her and put her up right before gun season.

This thread has got me thinking of my first deer with a muzzleloader, it was 1984 and I got a T/C Hawken.50 cal.,me and a buddy went on a one day hunt to Randolph co. WV, a 3 1/2 hr drive from Wyoming co, hunted all day in 6” of snow and 20 degree temps, had a piebald doe come out of a laurel thicket just before last light, couldn’t believe my eyes, she blended in with the snow so much made it hard to see, didn’t make a great first shot, had to track her and shoot again down the back side of the mountain, didn’t get her to the truck until 8:30 that night, that piebald doe hooked me for a lifetime of muzzleloading, after 40 yrs I still hunt with the ol Hawken with my buddies, thanks for the memories guys, …… Gutdaddy

This is one of four piebalds that are within a couple miles of my house. Besides this girl there is another piebald doe I see in my yard that is a dwarf and a pair of 1.5 year olds (one buck and one doe) that are strawberry roan colored in big patches.
I've seen a few in our neck of the woods also.

Back