• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pietta 1851 colt high shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It easier to reverse a taller front sight then it is to fill back in a ground down rear hammer.

I can bairley see at 25 yards let alone 100 so i should set all mine up to be fixed at 15

Just took my 1851 Pietta to the range yesterday. Had replaced the front sight with a 1/8 dia. brass rod about 1/4 inch in height. Took a file along. Shot 5 rounds @ 25 yds. then filed the sight down. Shot 5 more, then filed. Repeated until I walked the group up from the bottom of the target to POA.

Next, took pistol home, filled in notch in hammer with solder and moved POA (was shooting 6 - 8 inches to left) by filing another notch a bit further right. Will see if I moved it far enough to the right next time out.

- veep

I've been shooting the Colt 2nd Generation C&Bs since the late 70s. All mine shoot high from the point of aim. Just something I learned to master. I've put uncounted numbers of squirrels and rabbits in the pot over that time as well as slaughtering a small forest of trees in targets. Just practice and then practice some more.

A couple of years back, I bought a Uberti 1858 New Army in SS. This C&B (because of the taller front sight) shoots pretty much dead on point of aim. It's fast becoming one of my all time favorites.

As Cynthia said, it seems the Colts with the short front sights were originally designed for to be dead on at 75-yards. At least that is what I've read.
I have an 1860 Army and an 1851 Navy (although the Navy is in .44 also). Both shot high as expected. To make matters worse, I like to shoot 30 grains of 3F because it like the gun to "belch", if you know what I mean? :haha:
There is three things I had done to both revolvers: 1)A 3-3 1/2-lb. trigger job, 2) an 11 degree cut on the forcing cone, 3) a taller front sight.
Now both pistols shoot right where you point them. It's amazing what those 3 things do for the Colt revolvers.
Trouble is, no one makes what we might call a somewhat authentic "looking" taller front sight. The two I have, I bought from Kenny Howell (of colt conversion fame). They look natural on the barrel and are a dove tail. Kenny said he designed them for his conversions to be pretty much right on at 25-yards with little or no filing for the .44 and a little filing for the .36. I just wished he had these front sights more readily available. It took me a year of pleading to get the two sights. I wanted to buy six, but gave up after the two. Guess he's just too busy.
But those three things sure made all the difference in the accuracy of the Colts. Rick. :hatsoff:

Back