• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pigeons with the 45 Kentucky.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been a while since I used the Kentucky smothbored rifle for wing shooting so after work I visited the stubble for a few shots at pigeons again.
This little 45 just comes up so well and follows through a treat.
Tipping something in the region of 50 gn of very fine powder, two cards ( sometimes with a blob of lube) then 3/4oz of shot and a card on top I was getting some good shots in.
Good power and little lead (leed) on the bird required. Good recoil pulse too.
It was an unusually hot day and no wind. Not especially good for pigeon shooting. That made for slow shooting but I managed to get 12,,,,or so, some could not be retrieved.
If anyone ever wonders about a smallbore smoothbore in .45, don't compare it to a .410! Think 28g or even 20g!! That is if you don't load it like a sissy 😄.
20210907_184512.jpg

Must of had some fun, just look at that crud!

20210907_184539.jpg

The business end.
20210907_184840.jpg

It was a very hot day as I had mentioned, I was dehydrated so called it day 🍺

Excellent. Thank you for sharing.

One thing I've noticed in almost all your wing shooting reports is the "blob of lube." Sounds to me like you are just putting the lube into the barrel on top of a card or two. You are the only one I've noticed mentioning doing this. Ate you putting another card between the lube and the shot?

Excellent. Thank you for sharing.

One thing I've noticed in almost all your wing shooting reports is the "blob of lube." Sounds to me like you are just putting the lube into the barrel on top of a card or two. You are the only one I've noticed mentioning doing this. Ate you putting another card between the lube and the shot?
Yes friend.
It was so dry and hot the barrel was getting crusty down by the breech.

To be honest I was using wonder lube. I paid so much for it I'm reluctant to trash can it but that's where it belongs! My lube works much better.
I'm just gonna have to bin it I think.

I was meaning to ask you, Brit, are these smoothbore "rifles" a factory option available in the UK due to your gun/hunting laws (as in made just for the UK market)? I assume so, but you know what they say about assuming. 😄

I was meaning to ask you, Brit, are these smoothbore "rifles" a factory option available in the UK due to your gun/hunting laws (as in made just for the UK market)? I assume so, but you know what they say about assuming. 😄
Yes sir but they don't seem as popular today. I mean I have not noticed many purveyors offering them like they did in the last century.
It was not just for the UK, other countries suffered with lousy legislation too but some of them have smelt the coffee and woke up since!

I used to shoot hundreds if not thousands wood pigeons in the past but not any more to much EU legistration the game dealer had to many of their silly laws to stick by a bird had to be so many degrees chilled and other rules . In the past I have taken in from a morning decoying any where from a 50 to 100 plus they then were glad to have them has most went to France and Europe the same applies to all game . The UK public do not eat much game and now it is very little with the anti propaganda and lead shot . Has I said I shot many a good bag but not now when the sale of woodpigeon became strict , now it is only if I want a few for myself . No the big bags are a thing of the past for me woodpigeon meat is good and should not be wasted and left for vermin .
Feltwad

Yes sir but they don't seem as popular today. I mean I have not noticed many purveyors offering them like they did in the last century.
It was not just for the UK, other countries suffered with lousy legislation too but some of them have smelt the coffee and woke up since!
I really wish I could get one here.

Back