• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pins Or Wedges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is better for a full legth stock. Pins or wedge keys? Any info would be greately appreciated.

Gary

There is no "set" answer to this, Gary. It really depends on the style of Longrifle you are making. Are you going to put escutcheons on the forestock through which to put the pins or keys? Escutcheons are usually seen with keys, rather than pins.

If no escutcheon is used, you mostly see only pins used. I have seen some foreign-made replicas with escutcheons and pins, and there are probably originals made that way, too. I just can't think of any I have seen.

The height or thickness of the forestock often dictates whether you are going to be able to use keys and escutcheons. It the forestock is very thin or skinny, there is no place to put small screws to hold the escutcheon plates to the stock.

I have seen some large caliber, large barrel, thick stocked rifles made in the Southern( Virginia or Carolina) style, but most are rather thin, graceful examples of the gunmaker's art. The thin ones have pins holding the forestock to the barrel.

paulvallandigham said:
There is no "set" answer to this, Gary. It really depends on the style of Longrifle you are making.

:thumbsup:

Definitely depends on the style and time frame you want. Lots of New England style rifles were built with keys and no escutcheons up here. Some had escutcheons.

Gary, function wise there's really no advantage to one over the other, althought the keys could be a little easier to work with if you ever had to pull the barrel. If you are building the gun yourself pins are quicker, it takes a little more time to make and fit keys.
Your forend can be nice and slim whichever way you fasten the barrel, I usually use 1/16" steel to make keys, same thickness as the pins I normally use. Plenty of skinny guns out there with keys on them.

I've made 3 LRs w/ 4 keys and escutcheons and building them this way is a lot more work. My squirrel LR has 4 keys and if I had to do it over again, I'd build it w/ a hooked breech for easier bbl removal when cleaning, although removing the tang screw isn't that big a deal. As far as keys being PC or suitable on certain styles of LRs, that would be a decision that some would have to make......Fred

To add another question to this. Is there a certain direction pins should be put in and removed? I have a Kentucky and removed the barrel once a year or so, just to check it.

I was taught cheek side in lock side push out the old timers did this with pins and sights so they would stay tight.
Ephraim

Back