• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pistol presentation cases

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know where you can buy a case like what was used for a pair of dueling pistols or just a matched set of pistols? Or does any place make just the outer shell with hinged top that I could do the interior work on? I'd like to have a nice box to display two flintlock circa 1810 pistols in with compartments for flask, balls, tools, etc.

I just remembered I found a guy that makes them! I will check for his info and post it!

This is an original cased set that sold at auction for around 39k!

35780.jpg

I cannot find the guy who was making them. I can email you a higher resolution photo, and you can blow it up to scale and use is as a pattern :hmm:

Maybe should consider a group purchase on a multiple run??

I would be interested!!

I'd hate to have to make the whole thing but I guess that is a possibility. Problem there is having to invest in the right equipment to do this stuff.

Swampy, keep poking around in google. A few years back, I was looking for them also and I found several places that made them in different sizes. The prices were a lot better than the Dixie cases and they had a lot more options.

There also is or was someone on Ebay that hand made some really nice ones for a great price and he used pretty woods. I wish I had found him first. I fell in love with the curly maple cases he made, but I had already bought the one I needed by then.

Check this place out. http://azwoodman.com/

They make about any kind of box. You design, send measurements, pick wood type, corner detail, lock type, hinge type, etc. they will send you a quote in a couple of days. You finish outside and inside. Great looking boxes for single pistol in the range of $60 -$80.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of a woodworker who loves these kinds of projects. He built me a pistol case for a single pistol and accessories. Email him your design. Use that picture in the post. He may be willing to do it for you. He likes a challenge and has always been quite reasonable. I am going to see him about a wooden transport case for two Ruger Vaqueros. It's Jacks Woodworking, Jack Bailey at [email protected]

He may not be interested, but give him a try.

Tell him John the teacher told you to contact him.

Patriot

You might consider the local high school Industrial arts class. The students are usually looking for a different type of project. If I wasn't so busy I would offer to make it for you. But I'm tied up for the rest of this year.When not buckskinningf or teaching I build custom furniture and my schedule is full right now.

Swampy
If you have access to a table saw, pistol boxes aren't real hard to build.
cased1.jpg

This one was built using some 1/4 inch thick poplar I got at the local Home Depot for the sides and some 1/8 inch thick hardwood plywood(for the top and bottom) I got at the same place.

The hinges and latches were bought at Ace.

cased3.jpg

The biggest pain in building one of these boxes is laying out the inside pieces and applying the cloth lining.

A couple of coats of Walnut stain and a shellac finish (period correct, ya know) finished it.

Well I'd havta scrounge up a table saw and making one certainly is a possibility but I'd rather try to buy the box itself already made and then do the inside to fit the pistols which will be custom flintlocks.

A simple box isn't too difficult to do; however, if you are after a really good reproduction it does involve a good bit of work and experience. Most of the early gun cases that I have seen used dovetailed joints, though miters weren't unheard of. An English style case of the period would have a good quality half mortise lock and two secondary hook catches to keep the corners down. The interior would have a mitered dust lip and probably a baize wool interior with compartments. The boxes would have more commonly been made of oak or mahagony and would commonly have been fitted with a handle in the lid to carry the box around, these would have been very similar to the types used in period furniture.

Executing a case of this quality would require someone fairly skilled in cabinetmaking. If you can find someone in your area that does decent reproduction furniture they would likely be able to build you a box to your specifications. Dixie Gun Works and some other sites sell the lining that is suitable for this type of case and Woodcraft and Rockler generally have good quality half mortise locks and nice quality hinges for sale. You would probably have to make the hook catches yourself out of sheet brass and hunt down a period correct handle. I would imagine a box made to your specifications could easily run $250-$300+ in labor with materials being extra. On the other hand it would make a good project to try if you wanted to learn the woodworking ropes.

I actually may have to make a box now. Bucktales came over today and brought me some old reclaimed American Chestnut from an old 1930s pole. Just maybe perfect for this project. :thumbsup:

I just completed this "French-fitted" storage box for my Uberti Schofield, but it might just give you some ideas...

Schofield_Box_1_Small_.jpg

Schofield_Box_4_Small_.jpg

Got the plain box for $20.00, spent $5.00 for a lid support, $3.00 for green felt, and $30.00 for the cavalry belt buckle, crossed cavalry swords and oil bottle from Dixie Gun Works -- and with the addition of a few hours labor -- Voila', here's a neat felt-lined storage box.

Schofield_Box_3_Small_.jpg

Schofield_Box_2_Small_.jpg

I cut the first form for the gun from 1" structural foam, which cut really easy on my scroll saw, and then when the dimensions were correct, I transferred those to a 3/4" piece of pine. I have to admit, the "French-fit" felt lining came out much better than I'd anticipated! Kinda impressed myself -- :shocked2: -- might just have to make another one to see if it was a fluke or not... And that one will be for an 1862 Pocket Police that's inbound to me as I type... (Can't wait to shoot it!!!)

Schofield_Box_5_Small_.jpg

Does the Schofield shoot any better??? Nope, but since it sits more than it shoots, at least now it's sitting in style. :hatsoff:

Tight groups!

Old No7

No 7, when you start and finish your box for the 1862 Pocket Police, send photos. Step by step and measurements might be nice. You have a fine looking box for your revolver to "rest" in. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how fancy a case you are looking for but here's some pics of a case I recently made for a shooting friend. Maybe this will give you some other ideas.

KPics2007004.jpg

KPics2007008.jpg

KPics2007001.jpg

KPics2007006.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back