• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

plane wood to figure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom hargrove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
this was a very plane peice of maple so i wrapped it with small dia copper wire and heated it with a propane touch, let it darken not burn then steel wooled it down . bleached the stock twice and steel wooled with 000 applied fiberings med brown shoe dye let dry and finished it with tru-oil not a fantastic thing but looks better than a plane no grain stock
53c0bb69.jpg

Wow that turned out really nice...I can't tell that is the way the figure was applied. I will have to try that proceedure sometime on some maple.

Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that looks real nice.Is this a method that you invented or is this something that has been around?
What-ever, it looks nice to this old Texas boy. :thumbsup:

Two-Bellys--too cool :thumbsup: -what kind of spacing did you leave between the wraps?what diameter wire?thanks Butch

Wow - I've done this on hawks and knife handles but never dreamed of taking on a stock. Really goood looking gun. :thumbsup:

i use the size wire that is found in small motors for the coil wrapping i try to leave about a 1/4"space but it will move so you end up with random widths this works well on any white wood and even cherry :thumbsup:

Hey, I'm impressed. By the photos, it looks like very good curl, who would know. How does it look close up, pretty good? ....George F.

Give this man a prize. That is the neatest thing I have seen. Way to go Two-bellys :applause: anvil

I like it! :thumbsup: Have wanted to try something like this on a cheap spanish rifle that I have. Why did you need to bleach the stock? GW

the bleach will make the wood lighter ,then when the stain is applied it will show more contrast. :winking:

Back