• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plans for a loading stand anyone?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfruhwirth

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all..

Purchased a "Traditions Trapper" 50 cal about a month back and need to build a loading stand.

Do any of you have any plans or pictures so I have an idea on how i may want to build. If you know where I can purchase one at a reasonable price that would be great too.

Its getting real old loading without one!

tia =)

I have a new puter and new camera. If I'm ever able to make the two work at the same time I'll post some pics :hmm:. Yeah, that'll happen.

Hank

Here's a picture of one of the reloading blocks I made for my Colt.
The picture shows both it's "open" and "closed" condition. Of course you don't have to make something as fancy as this, but by buying a simple brass hinge at the local hardware store for a buck or so, you can get yours to close down so it easily fits into your shooting box.

The dimensions for this one is about 3 1/4 X 7. The upright is about 2 1/8 X 3 3/4, but really these are more of a eyeball proposition than something that has to be exact.

The cutout in the upright is something that has to be done by trial and error. Start with something you know will be undersize and carve/file/sand yours to fit.
I made mine a little oversize so I could glue some felt pads to it.
loadingblock.jpg

Don't forget the important notch for the butt of the pistol to fit into. As you notice, I ended up adding a little block to make mine fit better.

I built one a while back from scrap hardwood. Here are a couple of pictures.

PICT0002.jpg
[/img]

PICT0005.jpg
[/img]

I clamp it to a table and I can load my pistol and rifle from the same setup.

Good Luck

I like that design! Never seen one configured like that. Looks like it can be designed to be broken down, easily storing in the shootin' box. I can see some Post Oak scraps laying around here are going to be turned into one of these next weekend - thanks for the post!

Finally got arround to making my pistol stand..

As a few have said they just made theirs out of some scrap wood laying arround.. So thats what i did.

I had a slab off of a piece of rough cut walnut and wondered how it would work..

Well here it is.

Will find out just how durrable it is in the following months though.

pistol_stand1.jpg

pistol_stand2.jpg

pistol_stand3.jpg

I like it. :front:
It has a rustic quality to it that sets it apart from the factory style loading stand.

IMO, one of the many great things about this hobby is it has so many different things which can be done.
Leather work, metal work, carpentry, cooking, photography....

Let us know how it works! :) :)

It works a lot better than your would think.. I was concerned that while starting the ball and ramming it home would be tough on the back side, but it really is solid.

The back stays up because it is flush with the bottom.

Of course it doesn't fold completly flat, but good enough to fit in the shoot'in box next to it.

Also the gun is very stable while in the stand. Shot it last night and you can shake and move the whole thing arround without worry of it comming out.

Only bad thing is that its pretty much customized to fit this particular pistol. Which obviously is of no concern of mine.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
:blue:

Finally made a loading stand. It really does speed up the loading time, especially considering my left hand is fairly useless.

Should have taken a picture, before I took it out to the range. Now I have to remember to pack the camera on Sunday!

I hope I have this figured out. This is a pic of a couple of loading/display stands I built awhile back. Makes loading a lot easier.
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master\store\20050716214954\P7100007.JPG

What I know about computers can be put on the head of a pin and still leave room for the US Tax code, but the address I'm seeing for your picture seems to be for a file that is on the C drive of your computer.
To post a picture, you have to download your picture to a (free) website like Photobucket.
Use this link to get to Photobucket. Register with them and download your picture to their site.
If you have questions about how to download your pictures to them, PM me and I'll send you some instructions on how to do it.
PHOTOBUCKET LINK

After your pictures are downloaded you can use this link to learn how to put your pictures in your posts and in your classified ads (if you ever want to post an ad.)
POSTING PICTURES INFORMATION

Hank,
NICE WORK!! Those aren't loading stands - they're furniture! The stand for the long pistol is walnut, isn't it?- WOW! That Kentucky Long Pistol is gorgeous, too! My compliments to the fine woodworker. Mike

Back