• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

plastic speed loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David454

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I like the plastic so called speedloaders. That is I like prewieghing charges for hunting trips. I dont have access to film canisters. Thought about cutting up some pvc pipe, but was worried about static build up. Does anyone have any ideas for something that can be used thats cheaper then the store bought ones. Kids, Wife and me got drawen for a hunt on a federal refuge. Ive been to this hunt before and the shooting is fast. Prewieghing charges would helps alot. Hunts not until Janurary ill have to post pics of all the hurds of deer we see after wards.

David454 said:
"...I dont have access to film canisters..."
:hmm: surprised to hear that...around here any place that develops photos gives them away for free.

Anyhow, I have a couple hundred spares still in a big plastic bag that you're more than welcome to have for the shipping...shouldn't be more than $10...probably take a 2' square cardboard box...let me know.

I run snowshoe biathlons and need to load quickly, wrap a 3in. long strip of newspaper around a magic marker or wood dowel and put your measured powder,patch and ball altogether and twist the ends. When you need them just bite one end off.Cheap and works great.

I use empty .12 ga hulls with a cork in them for powder and shot for my double barrel when duck or dove hunting. Black hulls for powder and red for shot.

An old friend of mine from the US Fish and Wildlife Service used clear tubing from an auto parts store. He would buy a dowel in about the bore size and take that to the auto parts store and try tubing until he got something that fit. Cheap a plenty; was see-thru and worked very well.

I know another guy who does the same with copper tubing which I also use as a ball bag spout after flaring both ends.

What is the concern regarding the static? I can see that you might not want the powder to cathc on the sides, but when you shove the projectile through, the powder will be forced out.

CS

Thanks for the sugestions! Ill ask in some of the photo stores for canisters. If that dont work I like the clear plastic idea.

You can use medcine pill bottles,small and large. You can cut a hole in lid to hold your patched ball or maxi-ball, put your measure load of powder in bottle. If you cut hole all way through the lid you can load from lid. I have made a few of these after I found one in the woods,a.45 round ball one Dilly

Why don't you just buy some speed loaders? Wal-Mart carries them in 3 packs for around $4 . I use the ones for .50-.58 cal. Works great. Powder in one end, patch and ball in the other.

I used to use Nalgene sample bottles. Hiking/backpacking stores sell them for salt/pepper, pills, etc. They're about 3" long and 1/2" in diameter with a hinged & watertight lid.

Now I use a ball-block with pre-lubed balls and a small horn with a measure dangling from the neck and it's just as fast.

DavidS said:
Why don't you just buy some speed loaders? Wal-Mart carries them in 3 packs for around $4 . I use the ones for .50-.58 cal. Works great. Powder in one end, patch and ball in the other.

And Track of the Wolf has the speedloader tubes with a cap on each end at $5.95 for 5. This is pretty reasonable, IMO.

Segments of cane for the powder with tapered twigs to plug the ends, and a ball block for prbs. Talk about cheap! :winking:

Slamfire said:
Segments of cane for the powder with tapered twigs to plug the ends, and a ball block for prbs. Talk about cheap! :winking:

Hey, I like that. I think I'll stop trying to eradicate the cane and water it for a while to see if I get some useable bits. I like cheap, but I like primitive even more.

Empty 410 shells work great and make match safes as well the ranges are littered withem , for free.

Hey, you guys with the cane problems -- you talking rivercane? If so, believe you me, there's plenty of primitive bow hunters looking for it and can't get any of it. Me included. Winters are too cold and too long here for it to grow. Osage does poorly here, too. Wish it were different but that's the way it is. PM me if you're looking to get rid of any, some folks would be interested in doing trades for it.

Down south here, we can buy cane fishin' poles, direct from China, that are already shellaced. They will develop cracks over time, but the poles are cheap. If I find a place where it grows, I'm keepin' it a secret. :rotf:

Tim, what we have around here isn't rivercane. It's some bamboo type thing that people originally planted as ornamentals decades ago and it's invasive to no end. It thrives in our rocky dry soil, but the smallest amount of water sends it into overdrive and it pops up all over. Very hard to get rid off too. It does make a nice, light, sturdy stalk that would make nice charge containers though.

I use little plastic ziplock baggies (i.e "dime bags"), about an inch on each side, to hold my pre-measured powder charges. These were super-cheap, like $3.00 for 200 or something like that. I use pre-lubed strips of patch material, about 20 inches long, and I keep my balls in an old cufflink box that I can set out with the lid up when I target shoot. One day I got five shots off in about four-an-a-half minutes with this equipment but usually it takes me about two minutes to reload, especially if my barrel is quite fouled. Oddly enough, loading my REALs takes quite a bit longer, and getting four off in under six minutes seems to be the best I can do. If I wiped between shots, I think I could consistently get five aimed shots off in four mintues or just a bit less with PRBs.

Big John said:
I run snowshoe biathlons and need to load quickly, wrap a 3in. long strip of newspaper around a magic marker or wood dowel and put your measured powder,patch and ball altogether and twist the ends. When you need them just bite one end off.Cheap and works great.
I've been toying w/ the idea of making paper cartridges to simplify the loading. I was going to use a bullet board for the balls and just use the cartridges to hold the powder.

I was also thinking of trying nitrated paper so I can dump it down the barrel and then load a patched RB on top. I dunno... something to play w/.

Are you just using a rectangular piece of paper? Not a semi-circle like they use for musket cartridges? Anyway, I'd like to hear more... how long will they last before the powder goes,not bad, but dampish?

Back