• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polished bore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball, I saw that T/C came out with a deeper groove. I was glad to see that. Have you, or anyone else here on the forum tried the new rifling depth? If so, what did you think? The barrel is only a 1 in 66, isn't it? Also, I do not want to leave the impression that I don't lap barrels, I do. But I intentionally stop short of perfection when doing this to my Green Mountain Barrels and perfer to "shoot the barrel in" the remainder of the way. I have never lapped a T/C barrel as stated in my previous post.

I have TC Hawken 1:66" percussion and flint round ball barrels in .45, .50, & .54 calibers...32" long, deep grooved, extremely accurate...makes for nice looking, well balanced, good handling rifles that are hard to beat for the money...

roundball, I think the 1 in 66 twist is a fine twist. About two and a half years ago I came across a Douglas .50 caliber barrel, 1" inch across the flats, 43 inches long with a 1 in 66 twist, and .008 depth rifling. I cut the barrel to 37" inches and built a "Buffalo Cross Sticks Rifle" with it. It weighs in at eleven pounds and is one heck of a great shooter! I polished the bore with 4 aught steel wool, 50 passes. I figured I would shoot the barrel in the rest of the way with trips to the range. WOW! Right off the bat I shot a three hole group that didn't measure 3/4" inches at 50 yards off the sticks and just less then 1/4" inch left of dead center! Not bad for a Douglas barrel that most people consider inferior! Considering I used an open non-adjustable rear buckhorn sight, and a front globed blade sight of my own design, I'd say that the polishing of the bore probably helped, but I don't have any way to prove it. I do know this however. I've never "tap" adjusted the sights, and after 300 rounds I've never shot more then a 2 5/8" inch group at 100 yards off the sticks, or more then a 1 5/16" inch group at 50 yards off the sticks. (All five shot groups). If the .50 GMB 1 1/8" x 36" cross stick rifle I'm currently working on shoots as good or better then that old Douglas, I'll be walkin' in high cotton!!!

Stumpy:
You are anal!!!! :applause: :haha:
But so are I. I do the toothpick thing after waxing the car/truck/boat.
I do the toothpick thing with my guns too. I even buy "Q" Tips to clean the itty bitty crevaces, pipe cleaners are indespensible, dental picks invaluable. never through away an old toothbrush...............and so on! :haha:

Back