• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polishing barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croppy Boy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 12 bore fowler which I had jug choked. It works well but the bore is a bit rough at the choke from tool marks and is enclined to become more fouled than the rest of the barrel.
I'm wondering what is the best way to polish out these marks and leave the barrel smooth?

Laping compound and some elbow grease, or maybe a scotchbrite pad and oil. Or you could shoot em out, dunno how many rounds or cleanings it would take but they would eventually get polished out lol.

Auto parts stores sell a "wheel cylinder " hone that works with a hand drill that will polish it out nicely. The hone and replacement stones will cost approximately $20.

Try the flex hone from Brownell's: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=647/Product/SHOTGUN_BARREL_POLISHING_FLEX_HONE_reg_

Spendy, but do a great job. The come in 12" and 33" lengths and various shotgun gauges. You can make an extension/adapter and do 40" + barrels. Being flexible, they should not harm your jug choke.

If you do the entire length of the barrel, I'd suggest making a muzzle guard, similar to those on a range rod, to keep the flex shaft from scrapping against the muzzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice. I actually have one of those hones from Brownells in medium and fine but was afraid to use it in case of taking off too much metal, the barrel walls are not too thick in the 12 bore. I'll give it a quick run with the medium and polish it with the fine hone.
Thanks again for all the responses.

I have lubed my patches with valve grinding compound to "lap" a rusted bore. It will take several shots but it works. Then clean thoroughly.

Back