• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor man’s guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind that while there was not a lot of money perhaps there was work, trade value of some items. Furs. Lumber or trees, crops Etc.

Also while we determine functional one way , at the time lives depended on functional.

So if your life or the lives of your family depended on the firearm you might obtain, what would you look for?

That was a decision. So functional in our mind may have meant reliable in that day.
There can be a difference.

It must fire and it must be accurate.

Also if you knew or thought you might become part of a militia that entered into the process to.

Oh , very interesting ! I didnt know you was a barrel maker .I'll call Ken Netting up and tell him he has been making pipe bombs for 20+ years . I sure appreciate the information bud !
All you have to be is literate to read a metallurgy report to gain this information. Lots of things are gotten away with for a while that are not really the safest route when using low pressure black powder as the propellant.
I do happen to be a trade schooled qualified Gunsmith though having knowledge of barrel steel alloys and have threaded and fitted all manor of rifle, pistol,shotgun and muzzle loading barrel from rifled and smooth bored blanks.
I have also witnessed and examined a fine rifle barreled with 12L14 split with a moderate black powder, patched ball load that was only short started which happens frequently at match shoots. This would not happen with 1134,4140-50 certified barrel steel. It would very likely not even bulge let alone split. The difference is the shock load resistance of the alloy used.
DOM is quite often cold drawn which is another negative for shock load resistance.

[Insult deleted by Stumpkiller - who shoots a L.C. Rice 12L14 rifled barrel and a Colerain 12L14 smooth barrel and still has all my fingers
Ed Rayl 8620
Green Mountain 1137
Colerain 12L14
L.C. Rice 12L14/4140 (Now absorbed by Bambi Chambers)
Oregon 12L14
Don/John Getz 12L14
Longhammock 12L14/1137
FCI – Charlie Burton 12L14 (formerly owned by J. Goodien)
Jim McLemore 4150
Sleepy Hills 4150 (out of business)
Robert (Bobby) Hoyt 12L14].

Last edited by a moderator:
All you have to be is literate to read a metallurgy report to gain this information. Lots of things are gotten away with for a while that are not really the safest route when using low pressure black powder as the propellant.
I do happen to be a trade schooled qualified Gunsmith though having knowledge of barrel steel alloys and have threaded and fitted all manor of rifle, pistol,shotgun and muzzle loading barrel from rifled and smooth bored blanks.
I have also witnessed and examined a fine rifle barreled with 12L14 split with a moderate black powder, patched ball load that was only short started which happens frequently at match shoots. This would not happen with 1134,4140-50 certified barrel steel. It would very likely not even bulge let alone split. The difference is the shock load resistance of the alloy used.
DOM is quite often cold drawn which is another negative for shock load resistance.
[Insult deleted by Stumpkiller]
You are so very smart ! Thank you so much ! I was repressing myself from things that I " didnt want to here " , you are correct . Thank you so much for this life saving information .I'll never make a firearm again without checking with you first to go over my materials and I will turn Ken in to the authorities for putting peoples lives in danger with his weak barrels. I especially thank you because now I won't waste my time writing any more threads or posts about building guns on the " Muzzleloading Forum "as I am obviously unqualified to do so . It would be a waste of my time since I am not as intelligent as you and I certainly dont want to endanger anyone's life or limb . You are an inspiration and a gold mine of life saving information . I hope to see and read your posts on how to make N.W. trade guns and other types of muzzle loaders so I may learn to do the same some day . I really look forward to it . God bless !

Last edited by a moderator:
You are so very smart ! Thank you so much ! I was repressing myself from things that I " didnt want to here " , you are correct . Thank you so much for this life saving information .I'll never make a firearm again without checking with you first to go over my materials and I will turn Ken in to the authorities for putting peoples lives in danger with his weak barrels. I especially thank you because now I won't waste my time writing any more threads or posts about building guns on the " Muzzleloading Forum "as I am obviously unqualified to do so . It would be a waste of my time since I am not as intelligent as you and I certainly dont want to endanger anyone's life or limb . You are an inspiration and a gold mine of life saving information . I hope to see and read your posts on how to make N.W. trade guns and other types of muzzle loaders so I may learn to do the same some day . I really look forward to it . God bless !
This whole response was completely dishonest and dripping with sarcasm then to top it off a follow up with fake surprised shock and then finally capping it off with the vulgar insult reply that was the only real/honest response Rob M. made !

I just asked a simple question and came back to a pissing contest 😭
I know how you feel . I just answer a simple question and tell how I would like to help folks make less expensive , good flintlocks and I get told I dont know what I'm talking about from some narcissistic d0%&#e who isn't even a builder . I'll never do that again . ... No more contributing to this forum from me . I'm obviously unqualified .

Last edited:
I know how you feel . I just answer a simple question and tell how I would like to help folks make less expensive , good flintlocks and I get told I dont know what I'm talking about from some narcissistic d0%&#e who isn't even a builder . I'll never do that again . ... No more contributing to this forum from me . I'm obviously unqualified .
Well I appreciate your tips and advice. And I know you know alot more than I do about barrels and such. So I'm unqualified to correct you. So in the mean time I'm still saving my pennies for a Rosie. At the rate I'm going I'll probably be placing the order in about December 2054. 😁

Well I appreciate your tips and advice. And I know you know alot more than I do about barrels and such. So I'm unqualified to correct you. So in the mean time I'm still saving my pennies for a Rosie. At the rate I'm going I'll probably be placing the order in about December 2054. 😁
Famous gun builder Ken Netting makes my barrels and they are wonderful ....I mean ....very dangerous and will likely ki!! the person shooting the gun . Thank you for the nice words ....take care

I was rather surprised after building a lot of guns, I had never built any poor boys.
After I retired from gun building, I found I still had some parts around, and to use up some parts, the last three rifles I built were poor boys, and I found a real love for the simplicity. This is one of them, along with bag, horn, and knife I made.

Attachments

• DSC00109.JPG
    DSC00109.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
I was rather surprised after building a lot of guns, I had never built any poor boys.
After I retired from gun building, I found I still had some parts around, and to use up some parts, the last three rifles I built were poor boys, and I found a real love for the simplicity. This is one of them, along with bag, horn, and knife I made.
Thats really nice.

Actually I've been building and repairing all manor of rifle,shotgun and hand guns continuously for about 45 years including flint and percussion !
After all that bruhaha DOM is still not certified barrel steel and should not be used for firearms !
Simple guns are fine and is personally preferred as long as they are built safely which is the whole point of my response !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back