• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Charge for EuroArms 1861 Springfield?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast your Minies out doors and the risk goes away. The heavier Minies work great in the slow twist barrels. That is what they were designed for. The only way to get consistency in ammunition is to cast your own and use pure lead. And use one weight of Minie. That way your sights are dialed in and your load is dialed in and everything is consistent--you become the only variable.

Some years ago Jim Leinike did a series of balistic articles in the skirmish line. Going from memory 45 gr. of 3F behind a 505 grain minie gave a muzzle velocity of around 950 fps. According to some sources, this duplicates the service load with far less powder. My brother has shot a number of deer at close range using 43.5 gr 3F behind a 315 grain minie. He claims every ball went right through them.Watch your topknot, Jaeger

to me it wouldn't matter where you hit him as long as you hit him. a hit with a minie ball in the torso ANYWHERE is going to cause so much damge that he's a goner anyway.

AragornElessar86 said:
What's the right charge here? I'm reading anywhere between 45 and 70 grains. I bought it used so I got no paperwork.

Also, is it safe to shoot patched ball from this thing, or will that create too great a pressure? (aka, is this thing designed for minis, or can I use whichever I want?)

The old BP shooter at the rifle range told me to use the old "rule of thumb" and divide the bullet weight by 10 and that is how much 3f GOEX to use.

It seems to be right on the money. A Lyman 575213-OS weighs 460 gr. so that is 46 gr. 3f BP. Likewise a Lyman 575213-PH minie weighs 566 gr. and would be 57 gr. 3f BP.

1stTexas:
That sounds like a good rule for Minie' ball shooting. :)

It would be a little on the light side for roundballs though with a .440 at 129 grains and a 490 around 180 grains that rule would suggest that 13 and 18 grains would be right. :rotf:

With the Minie's I think what folks forget is that is a LOT of lead in a VERY large caliber. Even with only a 60 grain powder load they hit like a freight train.

The Army would agree with that: the service load in the Springfield was 60 grains of musket powder. FFg is pretty close or as close as we can come these days. With the 560 grain Minie, I believe my '63 could handle any game on the North American continent without difficulty.

Shot a good bit yesterday, and the best charge ended up being about 60 grains of Pyrodex with a .570 round ball unpatched. I'd like to find a thinner patch that what I've got, because with my LGP I use a patch soaked in BP solvent so as to clean and load in one sweep. I'm sure someone here will tell me how horrible that is, but it works for me.

IMHO, if your getting the best accuracy in a rifled bore by bare ballin' a .007 undersize ball, something is really wrong.

Duane

The problem is that the patch is too thick, I can't ram it down. If I had a thinner patch I think it'd work better than unpatched. However, I need to get it clean and then actually mic the barrel (which I shoulda done before buying the balls). Then I'll be better able to figure out what's going on. I'm thinking the barrel's just considerably undersized.

On a side note, does anyone know of a good manual for disassembling both the EuroArms 1861 and the LGP? I don't know how to get the barrel off for cleaning, or if I even need to. :confused: I've just been running solvent-soaked patches down until they stop coming out dirty, then oil 'er up with some organic lube. What more should I do? Is there a better lube than just a linseed oil or something of that nature?

OK. First the patch thickness/lube issue. I don't know about Euroarms '61, but according to the spec's
in Dixie's catalog the '55 Springfield is .577 bore with a .589 groove to groove(.006 groove depth)which means is doesn't have progressive groove depth like the originals. I'd bet their '61 is the same as the barrels are almost identical. A .570 ball should work with a .010 patch and decent lube. Everyone has their favorite lube, Bore butter, wonderlube, Lehigh Valley, Mink Oil(my current favorite), a bee's wax blend etc. Shallow grooves means more frequent cleaning between shots. The next smaller ball size you can get store bought is .562 which you might try with a .010 0r .015 patch. Actually, if your bore is indeed .577,. a properly lubed PURE LEAD .575 or .576 minie should work fine.Here you want a high density lube that won't melt in warm weather Don't buy minies that come in a bag. They bang togeather and damage the skirts. Better yet, get into it and cast your own. Very satisfying.

To disassemble the Springfield.Cock the lock. Depress the front band spring and slide it off the stock and barrel. Do the same for the other two. Remove the tang bolt. The first time you do this, also remove the rear lock bolt to make sure it doesn't pass through a hole in the back of the breech plug. If it doesn't, you won't have to do it the next time. Gently tip up the muzzle end so as not to chip the wood around the tang mortise. It should lift right out.

For the LPR,(I assume you mean Lyman Plains Rifle) cock the lock, remove the ramrod and two barrel keys, lift out the barrel.

Good luck.

Duane

Forgot this. Nix the linceed oil. After the bore is cleaned(try hot soapy water), and dried use Rig
as a bore preservative. Ballistol is good, too.
I think I'm done now!

Duane

Remove the tang bolt(s), the lock plate, and then all the pins or keys that hold the forestock to the barrel. YOu should be able to lift the barrel out of the stock from the muzzle. Sometimes( rarely) you are going to find a gun that has a bolt from the trigger assembly that mounts into the bottom of the tang, or breechplug.

That is the second reason for removing the lock plate. The first is in case the upper lock bolt goes through the tang, or breechplug. Removing the lockplate exposes the back of the barrel and bottom of the plug to view, so you can better see what else may be screwed to it that would otherwise prevent you from just lifting the barrel out.

On some foreign made guns, the screws that hold the stocks to the barrels are in or through the ramrod pipes, so you have to remove the ramrod, Also, before removing the screws. I always remove the ramrod before attempting to remove the barrel. Its the easiest thing to take out of the gunstock, before you begin to work on the barrel removal.

If you find the barrel is held with pins, you want to use a pin punch, or even a soft nail, slightly small in diameter than the pins, and push them out from Left to Right, as you look down from on the top of the barrel. Set the pins aside in the order in which they are removed, because often the length of the pin, and even its diameter is particular to a given hole in the stock. Make sure the pins go back in from right to left, and the same end of each pin also goes into the same place.

Oh, before turning out any bolt or screw, take a pin or scriber, or " scratch " awl, and mark the screw slot and some part of the stock or plate it holds to the stock with a short " witness " mark. This will allow you to return that bolt or screw to the exact same depth when you put the bolt or screw back in the gun when you reassemble the barrel and parts to the stock. Over-turning bolts is one of the principal reasons that locks begin to fail, or not work properly. That extra torque also puts stress on the stock wood, and on the barrel, affecting how the barrel vibrates. Removing a barrel is one way to change the POI you will get from that gun after you put the barrel back on.That is why some target shooters find ways to clean their guns that don't involve separating the barrel from the stock.

I recommend sealing the barrel mortise, the tang mortise, and the lock mortise with a good stock finish before the barrel is put back in the stock after that first diassembly. You will be protecting the wood of the stock from water and moisture, and from cleaning fluids, and oil that you put on the barrel and into the barrel to clean it or preserve it. Give the bottom of the barrel a coating of grease, or wax to protect it further from rusting while in the stock. Put enough grease on it that the grease oozes out the top of the barrel channel when you seat the barrel in it. Then wipe off the excess grease where the barrel meets the wood, and your gun is protected from rain. Find a grease that is tolerant of high temperatures and low temperatures. We now have some synthetic lubes that do wonders, even in very cold temperature. Water pump grease was what has been used for more than 100 years, but it may not be the best choice when the temperature exceeds 90 degrees.

Awesome, thanks. I'll stick to Hoppy's #9 for my solvent for now, though the hot soapy water seems to do about the same (or maybe a tad better) from what I've seen, so I may switch over. I'm using the #9 as my patch lube also, which I think helps because it cleans as you ram the ball down. I've heard a lot of good things about Balistol (sp?, so I think I'll try it out. Thanks a bunch for the help

Oh, and yes, by LGP I did mean Lyman Great Plains. :thumbsup:

According to the Euroarms web-site, the '61 has a .58 caliber bore, which is correct for a Springfield.

I got a chance to try mine with .580 minies, the results look promising. I was able to get a 4-1/2" group at 100 yards. I was using 42 grains of fffg, I will be working on the best load for this bullet.

AragornElessar86 said:
On a side note, does anyone know of a good manual for disassembling both the EuroArms 1861 and the LGP? I don't know how to get the barrel off for cleaning, or if I even need to. :confused: I've just been running solvent-soaked patches down until they stop coming out dirty, then oil 'er up with some organic lube. What more should I do? Is there a better lube than just a linseed oil or something of that nature?

Get a copy of the 1863 Springfield Rifle musket manual. There are a few differences between the 61's and 63's but they're minor. I have a copy and it helps alot. You can get one at almost any Civil War Sutler or even ebay.

Here's a link to Fall Creek Sutlery. They have it for only $3.00. http://www.fcsutler.com/fcbooks01.asp#riflemusket

Just remember, the big difference on the '61 is the cleanout screw. Remember to take that out so you can properly clean your flash channel.

BTW, Regimental Quatermaster sells replacement cleanout screws. I recomend getting a couple, because they are very small. I actually lost one at an event. https://www.regtqm.com/gunparts.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Back