• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could make the part that fits in the pour hole of the horn from wood and put an antler finial on that, I have done a few in such manner and works just fine, note when doing this use a good glue such as a two part epoxy and then pin the finial also, that way there is little chance of the end pulling off of the wood plug.

Back in the 70s there was a very talented horner who used to attend the events around here. His early horns featured plugs made of antler which were works of art in themselves. He discontinued the practice very early on saying it was easy to split the tip of the horn driving the plug in. It needed to be something that could compress and conform to the opening.

It’s a good size horn. 10” or more. E32D92E5-B71B-4B21-AF9A-983C302094CA.jpeg0B068C93-276F-4C9D-828A-66462FCF3161.jpeg

WOW! I've never cut a horn, and since the other end has thin walls, I figured the walls were thin all the way to the tip. Had no idea they were almost solid! Quite cool!
Keep the photos coming - folks are interested!
I also like the subtle USA on the bag in the background, even though you're in Alberta! 🇨🇦🇺🇲

Latest posts

Back