• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn: Stupid Newbie Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ald55437

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm back into BP after selling my original stuff 9 years ago. Back then I had a brass BP flask that you unscrewed one end, poured in the powder, screwed the cap back on and dispensed from the other end by pushing a button.

This time I thought I would be a little more PC and get a real powder horn (ok, it's from Cabellas). I got it home and realized that...there seems to only be one opening...at the narrow end.

So the stupid question is: Do you load and dispense your powder by the small end? Do you use a funnel? :redface:

Check the big end for a plug. The post that your lanyard ties to may unscrew.
I had the same dilema when I got my first powder horn.
Mine unscrews and gives you a bit larger hole to fill with.

Huntin

Check the big end for a plug. The post that your lanyard ties to may unscrew.
I had the same dilema when I got my first powder horn.
Mine unscrews and gives you a bit larger hole to fill with.

Huntin

Make sure the little hole is plugged before you fill it through the big hole... :winking:

Most horns have a larger service hole in the plug for filling...

Next time you visit the doctor ask for a couple of plastic ear speculums. They're little funnels they look into your ears with. Or if you're too healthy let me know and I'll send you a couple.
Or alternatively.....hang around some sick people for awhile until you need to go in yourself.

I only have the one opening in all my horns. :shocking: I've owned enough boats to know that openings mean leaks. No exceptions. I use a cap on my powder tins that has a brass tube soldered onto it. Pours easily into the horn opening through it.

You can make one with a rifle cartridge by sawing off the head. I use a 7.62mm x 39mm with the neck sawed off for a friction tight cap. (Must have fallen through a worm-hole. I found several at a local gravel pit).

Or, you can but a ready made one from TOTW.

POWDER-CAP-B_1.jpg

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories...um=POWDER-CAP-B

TOW has small funnels... You could modify the horn if it does not fill from the rear (base plug). Depends on how large the hole is in the neck. I use a small funnel to fill mine through the neck... takes a while to fill it but it works.

Stumpkiller: I like your spout, I made mine out of a 30-06 cut off at the neck and found out a 45 ACP would make a friction tite cap. Works well from the bench. Now to stay on the subject I made a small funnel from the tip of a cows horn to fill small horns.
Fox

My horn only had one hole, so I bought a brass machined filler assemblt that had a knob on it for attaching the strap.You just drill the right sized hole in the wooden plug and glue the thing in there. When you want to fill the horn you just unscrew the plug.This gives you a larger hole to pour the powder in. I think it has a small rubber O-ring to prevent moisture from getting in. DALE

Go to your local craft store and buy a sheet of thin brass and roll a funnel out of that....when your paper wears out or you need to write a note :crackup:
Actually, I used to do the same thing, till I needed to make an aniversary note for my wife :crackup:
Also look up candle making supplies, they will handle small funnels for refilling the oil filled candles, I got some off the web and they were only like 3.00 for a dozen.

made my funnel from the aluminum in a soft drink can...have
since switched to paper..Hank

Back