• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder horn woes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longrifle89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got to shoot my new TVM Early Virginia a couple of days ago, and also attempted to use my new powder horn. However, the horn is impossible to work with, as it will pour out a few grains and stop, after which I shake it, and a few more come out, so I stuck with my old powder flask. Is this common? Or is it a bad horn/is it worth fooling with?

Thanks.

Jam a wire in the spout and see if you have a blockage. The powder should pour out not dribble.

Ghettogun said:
Either there is a splinter of horn sticking into the passage or the hole is just bored too small.

Yep. Agree.
Just put a drill bit in there, the same size as the hole and clean it out. Turn by hand, no power. Y'know, sparks and things could ruin yer day. :shocked2:

how big is the hole in the horn? I like at least 1/4" or a bit larger for 3f have uised up to 3/8 " and this works fine and is easier to reload the horn, just takes a little learning to prime from.

This may be a stupid question, but do you know anyone with a guitar peg reamer? Annapolis should have a guitar or violin shop. Go in and ask if they will ream the hole for you. Tapered holes are better than straight, IMO. :idunno:

The hole is in between 1/4 and 3/8". The hang up seems to be about 1/3 of the way up the horn, which is about 12" overall.

It definitely trickles.

Is the horn heavy? The drilled portion should not be longer than an inch then it should enter into the natural cavity of the horn. Take a wire with a very small hook bent on the end and see how long the drilled portion is. If too long this causes friction and the powder runs slowly. Cut off excess spout length and reshape the horn if that's the case.

Sometimes if the angle of the drilled hole is bad then you are not going to get a good result no matter what you try. You should be able to see if the drilled hole is angling directly toward a wall.

It sounds to me like you have a "flapper valve" in your horn. Sometimes when the hole is drilled in from the end a piece of the horn hangs up rather than cuts off and makes a "flapper" that will shut off the powder flow. My solution to this is to take a piece of wire.Flatten one end and make a slight "hook knife" insert the wire and pull back until it catches and slowly turn it to cut off any hanging pieces of horn.I always drill and burn if needed any horns that I build before plugging the large end so that I can check for any hanging pieces.

I tend to agree that this horn sounds like it was not constructed properly. Remove the plug at the base, remove all the powder and THEN do a close inspection to see what is blocking the flow. Maybe someone stuff a cleaning patch down the horn spout some time. :idunno: :surrender: :thumbsup:

I started with wire, then I moved to a drill bit by hand. I got progressively more and more violent until I advanced to the drill. I reamed it out with the drill and now it works.

Thanks for the ideas; it should be good to go now.

longrifle89 said:
I started with wire, then I moved to a drill bit by hand. I got progressively more and more violent until I advanced to the drill. I reamed it out with the drill and now it works.

Thanks for the ideas; it should be good to go now.

Good. Congrats. Especially since you didn't experience an explosion in the process. :shocked2:

It was empty; only a few granules would have been there to ignite-I had trickled it empty beforehand.

-----I have put bird shot in them--shake back and forth a while--knocks those splinters off-----

Latest posts

Back