• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Inc. doing a little price gouging?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, I wouldn't doubt what you all say to be true.

I have one. And as soon as someone makes a flint lock cap and ball revolver, I'll get one of those too. :D But for now if I wanna shoot my beloved revolvers I'm at the mercy of the cap market. I have a decent supply, but I don't like having to ration my shooting. And as much as I don't want to I may have to get into making caps.
Here you go. It's been done years ago.

1720572954014.png

This has already been discussed and member posted what CCI told them. CCI said they are shipping millions of primers everyday. But where are they? Are distribution centers holding them? Are they being put on the shelves? Just like the "ammo shortage" a few years back. Right after the "shortage" there were tons of ammo on the shelves, online, at gun shows. Just like diamonds are so rare and that makes them expensive. There are warehouses full of diamonds ready to be cut. There is no real shortage. Just like the military munition shortage, there isn't one.
They must be using the USPS to ship them. That explains why they aren't reaching shelves.

I believe the late deer season flintlock only keeps the interest in bp alive in PA. Many hunters use flintlocks just to get another deer. When I would come across other hunters during the regular firearm season, I would get looks like I was from another planet because I was carrying a 60cal flintlock. Most gun shops in my area carry bp supplies.
I use a side lock in the early doe week.

I have been buying from Powder Valley for the past few years. Their prices have barely increased in that time. True that they charge hazmat fees but that is a fee imposed by the shipper. I usually wait until they have a “no hazmat fee” sale which is fairly often. Another thing is that their customer service is exceptional. Just my $.02

This has already been discussed and member posted what CCI told them. CCI said they are shipping millions of primers everyday. But where are they? Are distribution centers holding them? Are they being put on the shelves? Just like the "ammo shortage" a few years back. Right after the "shortage" there were tons of ammo on the shelves, online, at gun shows. Just like diamonds are so rare and that makes them expensive. There are warehouses full of diamonds ready to be cut. There is no real shortage. Just like the military munition shortage, there isn't one.
I think that the member misunderstood what they were being told CCI didn't tell them they were shipping CAPS but they were shipping PRIMERS this means that they aren't making caps as the machines are running full capacity producing primers for ammunition production (what they are in business for caps are just a side line) when then have fulfilled the requirement of the production plant then they make primers for the reloaders then and only then they fill orders from wholesalers for stock that retailers have ordered. This is why when you see caps on the shelf buy all they have because retailers stock their shelves based on turns if it sits on the shelf for to long they won't restock they use the space for something that moves better. the manufactures won't shut down the machines to change over to cap production from primer production (4-5 hours of non profitable down time) just to make CAPS that the wholesalers won't order because every body only wants to buy 1 tin at a time !!!!

I think that the member misunderstood what they were being told CCI didn't tell them they were shipping CAPS but they were shipping PRIMERS this means that they aren't making caps as the machines are running full capacity producing primers for ammunition production (what they are in business for caps are just a side line) when then have fulfilled the requirement of the production plant then they make primers for the reloaders then and only then they fill orders from wholesalers for stock that retailers have ordered. This is why when you see caps on the shelf buy all they have because retailers stock their shelves based on turns if it sits on the shelf for to long they won't restock they use the space for something that moves better. the manufactures won't shut down the machines to change over to cap production from primer production (4-5 hours of non profitable down time) just to make CAPS that the wholesalers won't order because every body only wants to buy 1 tin at a time !!!!
That's why I bought 2000 cci caps last year

I know what is going on. Same thing that happens every time there is a Conflict or a War in this World. Companies make & sell the products used to kill people, big profits! We know our percussion caps are made & i am sure they make millions of them. Most as usual sit in warehouse until the price goes up to sell at decent profit. Most of these Companies love your money & that's why they are in business. So we as consumers need to buy & stock up a lifetime supply soon as you can afford it. I have 3,000 caps but 5 in my family shoot them. I am out to purchase another 10,000 so my Grandchildren also get to enjoy this way of life.

My local gun shop has RWS 1075+ for 41 bucks per tin of 250. No hazmat or shipping charges, only tax. I bought 4 tins. Hopefully the other manufacturers will get some out into the market.
Thats 16 cents each…..so a cylinder full is a buck….thats ridiculous…what would you guess the manufacturing cost is….my guess, about 1-2 cents…

You do understand what you has sir ? Shipping primers not percussion nor musket caps. I am sure they most likely stop a line somewhere in the plant & make couple million caps of each.

Everytime there's a shortage of .22 ammo or rifle brass or what have you, I find plenty listed at exorbitant prices on the gun auction sites. As someone noted, that's capitalism at work, though hoarding adds a high-friction element to the free market economy that Adam Smith didn't foresee.

Priced caps at Powder, Inc. And Graf and Sons. Powder Inc in lots of 1000 $.22 each. Graf and Sons selling blocks of 2500, $.15 to .16 cents each. Powder Inc. Ordering 3000, $.17 each. Just like black powder, the more you buy the cheaper it is. Not gouging, quantity driven. Graf limit orders to 1 brick. No limit mentioned at Powder, Inc.

Back