• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of .54s and I shoot only 3f in both of them. It burns cleaner and seems to give me better accuracy in both of my .54s.

Years ago I went shooting with a guy who wanted to shoot his new flintlock. His first muzzleloader. He had 4F to prime with but had bought Pyrodex for the main charge. I told him it wouldn't work but his rifle went off every time. He wouldn't listen to any advice from me after that.

For the record, I never said Pyrodex or 777 won't work in a flintlock.

I did say these synthetic black powders will work poorly (if not at all). :)

For the person who has never fired a flintlock using real black powder, Pyrodex will seem to work.

The delays and misfires will be expected. After all, flintlocks are an ancient design that "everyone knows takes a long time to fire, even when their working right." :grin:

If your friend ever does get some real 2 or 3Fg black powder and tries it, he'll be amazed.

I've shot both, and I have video of myself shooting both, but again never in any sort of controlled setting (offhand in a cornfield...) I hate sounding like that young upstart guy that wanders in here and tells the experienced guys how things SHOULD be done. I'm still very new at this but I'm enjoying it A LOT, thanks in part to all the great info from you fellas.

My only input at this time is that APP goes boom with as much force and as quickly as I've had GOEX set off in my Bess. I'm working on joining the local shooting club, so I'll have more information on it in the future.

Back