• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder measure error

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Something else to watch for: just noticed the bottom of my powder measure had cracked, and backed out quite a bit, so I was throwing probably 5+ grains high. I tapped it back together and will solder it up solid. It's always something, huh.

IMG_20230819_124006573.jpg

Something else to watch for: just noticed the bottom of my powder measure had cracked, and backed out quite a bit, so I was throwing probably 5+ grains high. I tapped it back together and will solder it up solid. It's always something, huh.

View attachment 246253
For what it's worth...............Don't solder it with powder in it. 😂
Larry

I stopped using those a long time ago, found them too much a bother.
Niw I have and antler one for .45, .60, and .80
The .60 and .80 are marked inside for 10gr less for use on this rifle or that and for this powder or that powder. I don't do competition so I don't fret over a few grain more or less.

I have a similar one that is my "Master Measure". It's used for working up loads and sometimes when shooting with a loading bench. The crack is mysterious 😳.

By Master Measure I mean that it is used to arrive at loads and then used to make a Measure for that load. Pour a load from the master onto a scale then make the designated Measure to drop the exact same weight.

I use a pan primer made of the same material as your measure. It showed the same sort of split forming years ago. I smeared a little clear epoxy over the area and let it set for a couple days. Problem solved and the crack didn't get any worse.

I have a similar one that is my "Master Measure". It's used for working up loads and sometimes when shooting with a loading bench. The crack is mysterious 😳.

By Master Measure I mean that it is used to arrive at loads and then used to make a Measure for that load. Pour a load from the master onto a scale then make the designated Measure to drop the exact same weight.
That's what I do with one of my powder measures. Its the same style as in the OP's picture he posted. I like the hinged funnel and I do not plan on changing. Mine is old and worn so I might buy a new one just like it to replace it.

Most of the time I pour powder into the powder measure, tap it a few times, then swing the funnel over the top. I put a piece of folded paper under it and catch what powder is scraped off. By doing so, and after about 6-8 loads, I have found that I can save enough powder for another 20.0 grain load, or very close to it.

Not always but most of the time I will weigh the loads when following this process. Between taping on the side of the powder measure the same number of times, and swinging the funnel over to scrape off the excess, I'm getting pretty darn close to the same weight/amounts of powder in each charge.

After premeasuring and/or weighing, I always pour the powder into small test tubes with a plastic cap. This makes it much more convenient when out hunting, especially with my .32 Crockett rifle while squirrel hunting where I most always take at least 5 shots.

For my big bores I use plastic speed loaders. Same process just different tubes.

Last edited:
Back