• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder measure's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas duncan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I hear talk of people measuring in 5 grs increments with their load developments. just where are you getting this measures that does it in 5 gr increments? the only ones that I've seen were for pistol and only went to 50 grs max.

I use a normal one that has the marks every 10 grains and just go half way between the lines.

Look at the suppliers shown here under Member Resources, under- Links. Then when you get one, look for adjustable powder measures. Try to find one that has a funnel attached at the top to make it easier to pour into your barrel. Rifle measures are adjustable, and are graduated by 5 grain markings, with readings every 10 grains, from 0 to 120 grains.I just checked Track of the Wolf, and it also sells a measure that adjusts from 40 grains to 200 grains, and sells the attachable funnel separately.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(t...ies/partList.aspx?catID=1&subID=13&styleID=49

Dixie Gun Works has one similar to the one I have been using for more than 30 years, although mine was made by Tingle.(No longer in business, to our loss.)

Expect to pay about $25.00 for a good measure.

I also have a measure with a pivot funnel on it, made by Treso. I don't like the pivot funnel, because powder residue gets into the pivot, and cruds it up. Either the screw loosens, which is annoying, or it gets to be work to pivot it open and closed.

I don't have those problems with my open top measure, with the funnel attached to the barrel, on a pivot arm that allows the funnel to stay out of the way, until I tip up the measure to dump the powder down the funnel.Some of the measures don't have 5 grain markings, but it doesn't take a Master's Degree in Mathmatics to figure out how to set the measure for 5 or even few grain increments in between the 10 grain lines. The measures are designed to through a comparable WEIGHT of powder using FFg powder. You will be close, in my experience, but usually not exact. If you are loading FFFg, throw a few test samples to determine what VOLUME marking you need to use to get as close to the WEIGHT of powder you desire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oldnamvet said:
I use a normal one that has the marks every 10 grains and just go half way between the lines.

Me too.

I have measures that adjust up to 120 grains that I got from TOW.

HD

I used to have one with the funnel that measured in 5 grain increments. I THINK it was a Traditions brand but I'm not sure and I can't look to see if it is stamped 'cause I "loaned" it to a buddy for a couple of weeks... about a year ago. It was my favorite one too.
I oughta go see about gettin' that back.:slap:

I do have one from CVA that measures in 5 grain increments up to 120. It's way modern tho with a short starter, palm saver, and bullet holder built in with flip caps on both ends so you can use it for a quick-loader. Basically, other than the bells and whistles, it's just a clear plastic tube with lines. It's my least favorite.

I use an RCBS 5-10 reloading scale. I have a bunch of fixed measures of various volumes and a couple adjustable I have calibrated. I work up a good load and then make a fixed measure that I marry to that particular firearm.

A caution: I have an adjustable (marked "ITALY") with weights marked on the slide and it reads 27% OVER the true weight for 3Fg. Bad enough to be dangerous.

douglas_d said:
the reason for the question is because this is the measure that I have been using since i started shooting muzzle loaders.
Yeah, now I see why you asked the question in the first place.....you need one of the adjustable measures with set screw lock-up. I have a couple of those and also one you just twist the stem to lock it. Emery

Back