• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Practical accuracy for a Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to shoot big game at 200 yards or more try a scoped inline.
Thanks, but if I need to take a shot at game from 200 or more yards out, I'll use a cartridge gun.
Muzzleloaders, even a modern "inline" are a close range arm.
Fortunately, I've never needed to do any such thing. If you know how to stalk, you can always get to within 25 to 50 yards; at the very least with-in 100 yards.
If you are too lazy (or unskilled) to get closer, you have no business taking a long range shot; not even with a cartridge gun like a .30-03 or 7mm magnum. You should wait for a closer shot.
Sorry, but IMHO a 200 yard plus shot at game is not "impressive"; at least not in a "good" way.
Such is more luck than skill. Not to mention how much less effective (velocity and energy) the shot is at such a long distance.
Think about it. Archers have taken Antelope (which gun "hunters" claim a 400 yards shot or longer is required) for hundreds of years. They can get with-in 20 to 30 yards from the Antelope to make their shot. Why can't a gun hunter do the same?

Last edited:
I am hopeing to use my .54 fullstock flintlock Hawken I built on deer and or elk this season. So I do practice out to 100 yards max, as I am in the great state of Nevada and the distances are sometime extreme. I have faith the PRB will be fine. My problem is all the wanta be plastic MLers take up all the tags in the draw. Need a separate traditional season! I also advocated for the same when I bow hunted for over 35 years, the training wheel bows should have their own season.

I tend to balance accuracy, velocity, and load-ability for my flintlocks used for deer hunting. While I may be able to shoot 2” groups at 100 yards with a lighter target charge out of my 50 cal with a tightly fitted round ball, I’ll settle for a 3-4” group with a heavier charge and a thinner patch for higher velocity/killing power, and easier/faster re-loading should a follow up be necessary.

Have harvested deer, elk,antelope with my .54 Hawken left hand flintlock. Used patched round ball and 70 grains of FFFg Goex powder. Depends on the guy behind the rifle and conditions at the time of potential shot. Never used a conical in 40 years for hunting. Instead of lumping wheelie bows and in lines with tradition bow and traditional ml seasons, let them have their own, later one. In Colorado they used to schedule ML pronghorn after high power then someone got smart and put it between archery and modern. I'd like to see a special primitve gun, primitive bow tag. All wood or wood and sinew bows, wood arrows, linen string primitive archery and flintlock smoothbore license. You get to hunt early before in liners and wheelie bows and continue through all the other seasons but paying the same license fee as high power. This adds to the fish and game coffers, extends your season (though it makes it more competitive) and introduces the modern hunters to what primitive methods of take are. They call fiberglass, wood, carbon, graphite "stick" bows traditional and most of the guys using them have switched from wood to carbon arrow shafts.

To address your question of practical rang. What can you consistently group your round balls into a target the size of the kill zone for the species you are hunting? Now a 2"- 4" group with a flintlock rifle at 100 yds is pretty passable for deer and elk but is that offhand or off a bench? At one hundred yards, what is the momentum of that round ball? Does it have sufficient foot-pounds of energy and momentum to do the job or result in a wound and possibly lost game? Can you do this three times in a row from the clean bore or follow up shots from a dirty bore? Elk are much bigger than deer and generally tougher to put down and that is why .54 is a minimal muzzle loading rifle caliber in Colorado for elk. A minimal ball weight is specified, too.
What about the angle? Are you shooting pretty much horizontal? Do you practice at the angles you might encounter during a hunt? I practice on a club range here in Colorado that is on the side of a rising hill. Angles up and down with max about 184 yards way up hill. Decades ago I took a pronghorn doe at a steep angle with a single, clean heart shot at considerably more than 100 yards. Won't mention actual ranged and paced distance to discourage others from taking long range shots. At the time I had become proficient at hitting steel animals from 25 to 200 yards at a range with a similar slope to the shot I made on the antelope. Shots were mostly offhand. Would not try it again with older eyes. I also practice on a different club range with evel 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard target berms, frames. How I shoot (bow or muzzle loader) in the summer determines the limits I put on myself in the field in the autumn depending on what seasons I draw for. Fifty yards or less for deer, elk and antelope is appropriate for me and Old Lady Hawkens now. .
The issue of ethics comes into play when weighing between "should I if I can or should I pass?" You have you know yourself, your abilities, your quarry and your hunting tools. Shooting paper or steel on a range versus live animals in the field is a whole different "ball" game (pun intended). I prefer as close as possible to ensure a humane, quick harvest and enjoy the challenge of getting close. Do you have access to steel gongs or silhouettes to practice (offhand, kneeling, sittting, prone with/without cross sticks) on after you've sited in off a bench? Is that 2 - 4 inch group load enough to tip over the silhouette? Do you use a range finder to confirm the distance you guesstimate? I take a pair of cross sticks when hunting the sagebrush for pronghorns. Last animal taken with .54 ml was 35 yards over a water hole with cross sticks. One double lung shot put it down for keeps. That it decided to fall and die in the pond rather than on the dry bank wasn't part of the plan but that is a different story.
I use a .530 round ball with fifteen thousandsth cloth patch lubed in bear oil and beeswax, 103 or Gene High lube over 70 grains FFFg. If I need a quick follow up shot Butler Creek quick loaders store the same load, patch ball, combo. I hope I never have to take enough shots to have a hard to load bore but a bullet block with ten thousandsth patch and same .530 ball is carried for such a contingency. With a Bill Large .535 barrel, .60 caliber Getz barrel and .62 caliber mystery barrel for rifles on the drawing board, I am going to go up in my powder charges. Many other hunters would consider 70 grains a little anemic for .54. Loads mentioned in this blog site have to take into consideration where they are being used. Out here in the Far West - Colorado and Neveda included it isn't as humid and bores tend to foul quicker with fewer shots than back East.

Back