• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prb and chokes in pedersoli 12ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayJ

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've asked similar questions not long ago but have more.I want to shoot prb in my shotgun. I've got .690 and .715 balls. The .715 balls fit just right through my IC chokes with no patch.Too tight for a patch.The .690 balls fit perfectly in the full chokes with no patch The .690 balls would probably fit well in the IC chokes with a thin patch.I'm going to shoot some Saturday.Will a ball shoot accurately with no patch and just an overshot card if it comes out of a choke that it just fits.The largest choke I have is IC and I'm not buying any more.I know the ball would be loose in the barrel after loading and sitting on the powder and a wad but when it comes out it seems like it would straighten up because of the choke.Am I wrong in my thinking.The .715 balls will not work with any size patch.The .690 balls would work in either IC or Mod choke depending on patch thickness.So,what do y'all think.I would like to be able to shoot both size balls so not to waste my money.I even thought about filing off the bump on the ball for a better fit.

my experience with .690 through chokes is mixed and nothing is guaranteed!
One thing I would try in a choked gun next is a fibre wad plus bare ball plus another fibre on top of the ball.

B.

IF your shotgun is modern choked (not jug choked) and the chokes are part of the barrel, you should do OK out to about 50 yards. The old "pumpkin ball" loads were simple single, bare, round ball loaded into modern shotshells.

IF you have screw-in chokes, especially if those chokes are not sold to be used with steel shot, I would warn you that there is a chance you will peen the chokes into the threaded portions of the barrel, and not be able to remove them. I found out the hard way that a steel shot column, even though it fit down a bore, AND is compressible by a choke, peened a set of choke tubes into the barrel of a shotgun, ruining the chokes and the barrels. Later I found out the choke tubes that I had used were not sold for use with steel shot. A round ball of lead, might do the same thing.

Now choke tubes for steel shot are a lot stronger, and if your choke tubes are rated for steel you might be OK.

A bare ball on top of a wad with a wadded piece of paper on top, or some tow fibers will probably be your best bet.

Quite frankly, the safest bet would be to get some cylinder bore choke tubes. Yes I know you aren't getting any more chokes, but CB tubes would mean no choke and no worries. I'm sure they would be cheaper than ending up with damaged tubes permanently stuck in your barrels. I'd try Briley Choke Tubes to see if they have something that will fit, as the Italian parts are always overpriced.

LD

That's what I was thinking.Except now Dave has me thinking something else since he mentioned possible damage to my gun.

I have three chokes that came with the gun that are all rated for steel shot.They are thick and seem well made.They are Extra full,Mod,and IC.I've bought some other chokes from Academy sporting goods that do seem to have much thinner steel and not as well made.I've used them with no problems with ITX shot but never a round ball.I may have to rethink this.I think I will just try to make the chokes work that came with the gun and forget the others.That means the .715 ball is out.It won't fit through any of the chokes.It will fit in my Pro-factor IC chokes from academy but not my IC choke that came with the gun.The size is different just enough to make the fit too tight.I'm glad that I asked.I could have ruined my barrels.The chokes from Academy are definitely much thinner steel than the ones from Pedersoli.Thanks for the help.It may have saved my gun.

Have you contacted Pedersoli to see what their take is on this subject? I just gotta think they've done tests to see what their guns are and aren't capable of. Just a thought.

No,I've never checked with Pedersoli.I've just researched a lot on the web and other guys have done it but I don't know if they had screw in chokes or not.I may try my IC choke with a .690 ball and patch.I want to hunt hogs with the gun and most people did not recommend buckshot but they said a ball would work.

I used to own a SXS 12 ga. Pedersoli shotgun and I had to buy a cylinder choke in order to shoot patched round balls. You never want to shoot anything without a choke of some kind in the shotgun or you will mess up the threads in the muzzle of your shotgun. Pedesoli chokes are hard to come by and are quite expensive. There is a modern choke that will fit your shotgun but I don't remember who makes it. I bought it long ago and the gun is gone now so I can't look at the choke to see who made it. I think I ordered it from Midway. I remember talking to the people from whom I ordered it and they told me the make of choke that would fit. All I can tell you is that there is a modern shotgun choke that will fit and you must have it in order to shoot patched round balls without damaging the threads in your shotgun.

I certainly don't want to hurt my gun.But the .715 balls fit perfectly in the IC choke with no patch.I can use the .690 ball with a patch in most of my chokes and also .690 ball fits perfect in the full choke with no patch.The balls are lead so shouldn't the ball give some when it hits the choke?I'm very new to this so forgive my ignorance and repetive statements and questions.I'm learning alot from this forum though so thanks for the input.

Well this is my take....I had an 870 20g with screw in chokes, I shot many a hot cartridge loaded with a patched .562" ball. The soft lead ball would obturate on firing and then swage down at the choke so much so the patches would be cut all around leaving a full hole in the middle.....no choke tubes went flying or ever came loose.
Once them chokes are tight they can not move. It is the inertia if they can move that will cause the risk of damage if any damage is to occur even then! I have had chokes with shot come loose and no damage occurred to the threads!
I have shot .690" through full chokes the ball in plas wads and on finding the wads the petals have been crimped off. No damage.

Look, if you try it see if the choke will take some more torque from the wrench after each shot....if it does it don't like it!

B :thumbsup:

Just shoot them, if you can load it will come out. It won't knock the choke tubes out.

I was cautioning not about knocking the tubes out, but peening them in to the barrels, permanently.

IF they are rated for steel shot...., I'd say the chokes will be fine. In my case the chokes were not rated for steel, and steel was shot in them (it loaded fine), but at the end of the day the chokes would not come out. Took the gun to a smith, and the chokes had been peened into the muzzles.

LD

I started a new thread on my results but wanted to add that the chokes or threads were not damaged and came out fine.I just wasn't happy with the accuracy.

Latest posts

Back