• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB LOADS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When you guys go into the woods, how do you carry your PRB loads? [Seperately, or in some kind of holder]

I carry a few in bullet board and a premeasured vial of powder. I make the vial out of Elderberry stem. Get a piece of stem about inch around and 6 long. Push center pith out and peel bark off, I let them dry for a while then I hollow the out somemore till I get them big enought. Then I plug the bottom with glued wooden plug. Then I make a plug for the top, you want to use a soft wood like poplar,sassafras,willow. I make them to hold 100grs of powder. These are good to carry caps too. As they stay dry. Have some 20yrs old. I carry my needles and thread in one. You can make any size you want, just get the right stem. Dilly

Loading block with 4 prbs, horn and measure. On a hunt, I rarely need to reload quickly. Also a few paper cartridges (powder and ball) in the pouch for those rare times when I want to reload in less than half a minute.
Moose

3 patched balls in a loading block, powder in the horn, one load in the rifle. Hope this helps.

I have several of the wood loading blocks and I hang them on a cord around my neck. For deer hunting my favorite holds only 2 PRBs. Haven't needed it yet, but it's small enough to be convenient to carry just in case I do.

For small game hunting my loading block holds 6 PRBs. I have gone through all those in a morning more than once, so now I carry a second block in my bag. Simply lots more shooting on small game hunts, and the wooden block is easy to use while wearing mittens. Try that with loose balls and patches! Extra balls and patches go into a small drawstring bag in my possibles bag.

I haven't made my own powder measures or vials. For pure convenience I carry a powder flask with a measure tube on it on big game hunts. The elderberry sounds good, so I'll probably mess with that. For small game I've got to using centerfire brass cases for powder vials- stuffing a plain old cork in them for a seal. If you shorten the corks 44 mag cases are just right for charges up to 25 grains for my 32 and 36. For larger charges when I'm carrying a 50 or 54 I use 45-70 cases. Without shortening the cork there's still plenty of room for charges up to 50 grains or so.

I use loading blocks and paper powder packets that are waxed and can be opened w/ my teeth.....Fred

This is a commercial version of a loading block.

Lots of examples here on the site of blocks folks have made themselves. It's really easy and a great do-it-yourself project for your muzzleloader. This is a chart showing which drill bit you need for different sizes of balls.

5 PRB's in a loading block, premeasured charges in paper tubes and a fully loaded capper.

A couple balls and pre-lubed patches loose in a very small tin with a tight lid, or sometimes a small (but stiff) leather bag. Paper powder cartridges in another tin.

That's not as fast as a loading block, but it doesn't leave your balls hanging out there in the breeze either !

Shooting with conicals I use speedloaders. When shooting PRB I have my new bullet board with 5 PRB and a powder flask. Fastest way to load. But I'm a newby in using this equipment and I'm in a phase of testing.

I am in the process of makeing a bullet board. Right now I carry my PRB in a leather bag and my pre-lubed patchers in a altoieds tin, and my powder load in the .50 cal speed loaders for now and all of it in my possibles bag. Hope this give you some ideas.

Soonerhunter

Back