• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Preparing a percussion rifle for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidLeadSlug

40 Cal
Reaction score
Here in Western Washington, i have been plauged by "hang fires" during hunting season. Im hunting with the parker hale series of Enfield rifles. Ive gotten lucky with hang fires and still hitting a deer, but the last 2 years I've missed due to a delay in ignition.

Before I leave my car, I make sure to blast a few caps to clear the nipple and again wipe the bore, but still find i have a slight delay when I chance upon a deer.

To lesson the chance of the occurrence, should I blow compressed air through the nipple to further clear the nipple?

How do you all manage this annoyance? I am debating on taking a few fouling shots before I head out but really do not want to have to unload clean my rifle after every day of hunting.

I have never had that problem with my cap guns so what I have to say will only be a suggestion, and may not be a cure

1- do you have a obstruction free and and clear flash channel, double check
2- are you using excessive oils in your cleaning routine, spray brake kleen thru flash channel before loading, plus burst of air, and dry patch
3- old caps, or contaminated, right size to fit nipple CCI and Remington I never had a problem
4- powder, brand, size, substitute or real, I use 3F Triple 7 no problem
5- wet conditions try sealing cap with a water proof substance

I don't fire any caps before. I do this and don't have any issues.
1. Clean the bore And breech face with a dry patch and follow up with alcohol or Gun Scrubber solvent.
2. Remove the nipple and using Q-tips clean under it with the above dry and alcohol procedure.
3. Using pipe cleaners do the same with the flash channel.
4. Reinstall the nipple.

Back