• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

priming powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonehunter

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Just read a tip, they said instead of buying a lb.of ffff put small amount of ff or fff in plastic film canister with a roundball and let it roll around for a while. Just want to know what you guys think about that.Would it be safe with real blackpowder??? :hmm:

Just prime with the FFFg. You're not going to notice much difference.

Most of the flinters I shoot with use a wooden morter and pedistal ( A small wooden bowl , and a balled rod) to grind their own priming powder.It just takes a little time and reasonable caution. Don't smoke, don't do it next to the gas hot water heater, etc.

Not something I'm interested in mostly for safety reasons. Had a glass motar and psetle at one time and did grind some - far away from anything else combustible. Just too much of a pain. Some serious flint shooters have and use 7F.

Just buy a pound of 4F and be done.

TC

40 Flint said:
Just buy a pound of 4F and be done.

TC

I agree. A pound of 4F will last for a very, very long time. IMO it's worth having it and you don't have to grind your own.

OTOH, 3F works very well for prime. It's just a bit slower.

HD

All I ever use is fff. Works fine less hasle when hunting, i.e. only one horn to worry about or need.

if you prime with 4F, or ground up 3F, you will get faster ignition. While the speed increase is measureable, i believe that the gain in 'locktime' (that is, the time between the release of the sear and the exit of the projectile from the muzzle) is so small that it won't have a substantial effect on your scores. at least, it doesn't have much effect on mine, but then again, i'll feeely admit that i'm not that great a shot.

try it and see for yourself what works best for you.

(just one guy's opinion... results may vary... professional driver on a closed course... do not run with scissors...)

I gave up using ffff about 3years ago...fff works fine, and seems better than 4f in damp times...difference in the coating, I believe. Hank

hank said:
I gave up using ffff about 3years ago...fff works fine, and seems better than 4f in damp times...difference in the coating, I believe.
Like Hank, I too gave up on using 4F and switched to FFFg. No issues and love the convenience. I've also been told, but can't confirm it, that the 4F isn't coated with graphite and that's why it turns to mud quickly when in the pan.

I have 4f but in damp huntin season it wicks up to much dampness, I switched to 3f load and prime and have more reliability and faster ignition time. I read that some fellas get a fine screen and can screen enough fines from a can of 2f to prime for that can full. Boon :hatsoff:

FFFFg priming powder is the real deal as far as I'm concerned...killed a nice 8 pointer in the rain this season...I keep the lock up under my rain gear close to my body, refresh the prime every 30 minutes when its raining or in heavy fog / humidity...never had a problem in 10 years of hunting with Goex 4F prime.

Everybody should use whatever they want to prime with of course, but we need to be careful not to put down 4F for hunting because it really isn't a problem at all...guess it depends on what people are after...I understand sealed centerfire cartridges are even better than 3F for priming :grin:

I used the round know on my ball starter and a round bottom coffee cup. It worked OK, but was a pain. Got some 4f on the way. Mac.

Like many of the others, I bought a can of FFFFg a long time ago. I've shot a lot, supplied many other priming horns and still have beau coup left. It seems to last forever.

Back