• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

primitive hunting tactics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontierman01

36 Cal.
Reaction score
this might be a ridiculous question, but am I correct to assume that because people use primitive firearms that they use primitive tactics to hunt. meaning, no tree stands or artificial blinds?

you'd think that were right but the truth is, many still use treestands.blinds.

you use what you think will give you the better chance at seeing deer.

I dont use treestands or factory made blinds. I Do use the terrain and natural materials to set my self up for the closest possible shot on game.
Building a ground blind out of local materials is as primitive as it gets and started with the caveman hiding in the tall grass until an animal was in spear range.

frontierman01 said:
this might be a ridiculous question, but am I correct to assume that because people use primitive firearms that they use primitive tactics to hunt. meaning, no tree stands or artificial blinds?

IMO its not a ridiculous question...my sense is that all approaches are used...I used treestands for bowhunting but always found them too small, confining, uncomfortable, and of course had an element of danger but put up with it all because I felt it was needed for close bow hunting shots.

But when I got into Flintlocks, I sold my Loc-Ons and started using natural ground blinds like the branches of a big blow down or a big depression or log at the base of a big tree or something...and in more recent years I've settled on a couple fixed natural blinds I've built by arranging stuff in a horseshoe with a big tree at the center of the curve.

BUT...my approach is not driven by trying to be more primitive as that thinking would clash with my Thinsulate & Gore-Tex...basically my interest has beome the convenience of walking in and sitting down, being able to stand up on solid ground occasionally "to take care of business", its more comfortable with legs stretched out, it's safer, its warmer, no wind to speak of, and I'm at eye level for a good shot on a deer.

Tree stands likely go back as far as mans first attempt at hunting,we were ambush hunters in the begining, the blinds we use now are more refined,probably more comfortable, but functionaly the same as those used a thousand years ago, the modern material does not offer an advantage over the origional ones anymore than the steel parts used on todays ML's offers an advantage over the originals iron barrels

I'm sure it all depends on the person.

Really the only thing primitive for me is my gun and how I use it. I'm a paraplegic and hunt from a modifyed CATV or use popup blinds, depending where I'm at.

If I where dealt a different hand of cards, I'd probably "Still hunt" as much as possible. But that will have to wait for a different lifetime.

I had a bad fall 12 years ago hunting so I've been on the ground ever since. I do have a few commercial pop up blinds but generally try not to use them. Staying in the shadows has worked for man since the dawn of time. I will however use them in late season cold temps with a heater. :surrender:
Other than that, I don't use camo very often, choosing to wear my skins more often than not.
It just seems to go better with either my muzzleloader or longbow.

I like using deadfalls as a natural blind during muzzleloading season and will stand all day, sitting very little. Unfortunately, my hunting grounds have been "cleaned up" by my father-in-law. Now I'll be using whatever limbs are left to make a blind next to some underbrush and hope for snow like there has been in northern Illinois during early December. I've seen plenty of deer during bow season and have gotten a deer from a tree. But prefer the ground for guns.

DSC03070.jpg

here's a partial view from under an old pine tree where i like to hunt moose ...i walk a little sit a little both ways i find work well.

DSC03082.jpg

and to the left

DSC03067.jpg

we also use a boat to get 6 miles to the top of the lake there are no roads.

DSC02943.jpg

I don't use treestands anymore due to physical complications. Now I utilize natural cover to make myself a ground blind. As a matter of fact I just made my blind yesterday for the opening of gun season next Monday.
This will be my first muzzleloader hunt so I am getting really excited.
But, to answer your question I don't see anything wrong with using a treestand if you want to.

tg said:
Tree stands likely go back as far as mans first attempt at hunting,we were ambush hunters in the begining, the blinds we use now are more refined,probably more comfortable, but functionaly the same as those used a thousand years ago, the modern material does not offer an advantage over the origional ones anymore than the steel parts used on todays ML's offers an advantage over the originals iron barrels

A buddy of mine told me that one time he was hunting in Eastern Oregon along a rim and sat in a samll rock enclosure that was probably built by the native indians and for the same purpose. Man is and has used whatever is available to offer concealment...
Scott

44" barrelled flintlock doesn't seem like a good match to a tree-stand.

I keep my nose to the wind, my butt on a stump, my feet on the ground and my snoring to a minimum when rifle hunting. Sometimes I substitute a home-made treeseat for a stump (a ground-level seat that ties to a tree). Is plywood period correct?

I would say use whatever method would be most successful. I know here in southern New England the best bet is a treestand in the right place. You could still hunt or stalk through some woods but the chances of pushing game into someone else is too great. I have done it enough to realize that I don't still hunt much in my area.

Agree...still hunting...at least for me...is a VERY low percentage, low volume game under the best of conditions...I play the odds so they're most favorable to me...scout to find out where they live, where they travel, set up on that with the wind, etc...plus, there's the added benefit of other hunters pushing deer your way.

A little few acre woodlot I have permission to hunt is adjacent to a several hundred acre property leased by a hunting club and deer often slip into my little patch to get away from the noise and pressure of that hunt club.

Have taken a few Does that way over the years...sometimes they come tearing across the road and fly past me at 30mph...other times a few have stopped in front of me looking back in the direction they came from and a few of those I dragged back out to the road :wink:

Stillhunting is my fav! It can be tough, especially if the conditions are not right or hunting pressure is high!

Wess

bigbore442001 said:
I would say use whatever method would be most successful. I know here in southern New England the best bet is a treestand in the right place. You could still hunt or stalk through some woods but the chances of pushing game into someone else is too great. I have done it enough to realize that I don't still hunt much in my area.

As KyFlintlock says, Still hunting would be my choice even down here if I could. I always ran into deer in Vermont when I was able a long time ago who had no idea I was there.

There is a big difference between Still hunting and pushing deer. You learn that and you'll be surprised in what you see. :thumbsup:

The need for a true blind, whether in the tree or on the ground, goes up in direct proportion to your ability to sit still and the availability of natural features to break your outline. If you can break your shape in any way at all and sit rock still, the deer just can't seem to see you.

I'm dealing with really mobile deer. Here one day and over the next mountain tomorrow. You can find hot spots that might be good at the moment, but coming back to them tomorrow is low percentage.

As a result of all that, when I find a spot worth watching, I find the nearest thing- tree, rock stump tall grass, berry stalks, whatever and sit down against it or in it, as the case may be.

Anything to break my outline. And when I reach the point I can't stand to sit still another minute, it's back on my feet. Wind in my face, and on any day there's a little sun, hopefully I can put it at my back so the deer are looking into the sun when they look my way.

You got that right Swampy! After 50 years of doing it I'm still more of a tinkerer than an artist.

I've got a real hankering to try hunting whitetails, where their habits are more predictable and at the same time, they know the shape of every rock and tree in their small territory. I'm clumsy enough I can't see spending time in a tree blind, but hats off to guys like you that get to know the turf and know how to work with it on the ground. I'd be doggin you to learn all I could if I was closer.

Back in the 70's when there was no deer here and everyone traveled out of State to hunt for a week or two, my family had a place in Vermont. I loved to still hunt up there, would find em and follow em watching em. Would get so close sometimes if I had a 10' pole I coulda smacked a few on the ass. :haha: I'd do it until the wind betrayed me or sometimes I got busted by damn Turkeys.

Back