• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Primitive Weapons" v. Firearms Hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our reg firearms season here is a shotgun only one and up until this year any muzzleloader used during the season was limited to a "gauge" and smoothbore only. With .20 gauge being the minimum. This year for the first time we will be allowed to use our muzzleloading rifles during this season.

I agree with you. This is not NAZI Germany, where " IF its not specifically permitted, its forbidden!" This is still America. The law is required to give you notice as to prohibited acts. If the law does not prohibit the use a MLers, they are allowed. ( Obviously, in an archery only season, no specific reference to disallowing any kind of gun need be stated.) If rifles are used with the permission of the land owner of 10 acres or more, you can also use that MLer.

Yes,I'm the "grumpy ol' German blacksmith". Altho, a number of people also match that description. :wink:

Both sides of the family came over from Germany just before the great European wars. And they settled in a predominantly German small farming town/community here in Northeast Iowa.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Goldhunter -

Haven't kept up on the UT reg changes, but I went on big game hunts out of Sevier County with family from 1949 until 1967 and then again from 1976 to the late 70's when I gave up on the states big game except elk. By 1976 the mule deer herd had really declined sharply and the days of a 100 deer or more on the poles in "Big Camp" during the October 9-day regular season were long gone. The last year I hunted with family I got the only buck, a little 3 point on opening morning, and it was eatten in camp before we got off the mountain. That year was bucks only - no doe tags on Monroe Mountain.

(Before anyone gets too excited about shooting so many bucks/does per season in the 50's/60's... I came from a large family of ranchers who hunted together and fed on wild game/fish/fowl year-round. We commonly had 30-40 guns hunting together at deer camp and nearly as many at elk camp.)

That's my point Paul.
It's a rifle, only one that doesn't use a self-contained cartridge and has a different ignition system. :hmm:

Waltr said:
Seems to me that, for those eccentric enough to hunt with BP (especially flintlocks),...

You're in the company of an awful large population of eccentrics.

What a way to make an entry. :haha:

I personally have not seen any state regs that do not allow muzzleloaders during the general firearms season. Seems if you can use a 300 ultra mag you should be able to use a flintlock. You should always be able to use a weapon of older technology during a modern weapon season.

Your results may differ.

HD

Wow! New York - Land of the Free!

I use my muzzleloader during regular deer season here in the "Southern Zone" because it beats the slug shotgun I would otherwise need to be using for range & accuracy. Though not really with my "race" 1187 slug gun equipped with Hastings full-rifled barrel, Williams sights and, should I opt to use them which I don't having said muzzleloaders available, saboted 12 ga slugs.

We've got loop-holes within enigmas within paradoxes.

Strange I can use a Contender or Encore pistol in any rifle caliber for deer but not a deer rifle???

Hi Mike,

thanks for the description and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Waltr said:
Seems to me that, for those eccentric enough to hunt with BP (especially flintlocks), permitting them to try their luck throughout the regular firearms season could only fill their state's coffers, without seriously threatening the deer population.

Please help me understand what I'm missing here.
One of the things you're obviously missing is any understanding at all about the capabilities of hunters using traditional muzzleloaders...even those "especially Flintlocks".

As one example, I quit the big centerfire .30-06s with Leupold scopes years ago and have hunted for years now exclusively using Flintlocks all year round...I still fill my tags for deer & turkey, plus squirrels, doves, crows, etc. just the same as if I was carrying a .30-30 or a .20ga shotgun.

The forum contains a wealth of information...sit back, soak it up, and you'll be the wiser for it.

Unless you have a not so well hidden agenda...

One of the biggest problems with any hunting regulations is the ATTITUDE some people approach them with.

The moment any hunting rules/regulations get published, there are some people out there looking for loopholes, or trying to find ways to skirt or circumvent those rules/regulations. They just have to ... push ... the edges and possible "gray" areas of any published rules/regulations. And it happens no matter how well they are written.

Some people just have to figure out a way to "cheat the system". And that's the Attitude they approach hunting rules/regulations with. So then the rules/regs get tweaked a little more, and expanded by many more pages, to address those little "loopholes" almost on a case-by-case basis as they are discovered and become a problem area.

It's a way of looking at things that most of us just can't understand.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

here in IL you are allowed to use black powder rifles in both , muzzleloader season and shotgun season........and late firearm season that used to be hand gun season but turned into anything goes season as the deer population explodes

Wisconsin as usual uses common sense in determining what guns can be used in the various seasons. MLers are legal in the general deer hunting season in all counties including the high density population shotgun areas and of course in the MLer season following the general deer season. All MLing guns must meet the minimum caliber regulations. All small game can be hunted w/ MLing guns {rifles and smoothbores} except ruffed grouse cannot be hunted w/ a rifle of any kind. Makes sense to me....Fred

Howdy agin, y’all. I’d asked if anyone was aware of a rationale for prohibiting primitive BP weapons during regular firearms deer season, and from your answers it would appear that no one knows of any. In any case, many thanx for the timely responses, and for those of you who wondered, it’s the Great Sovereign Confederate State of Georgia that doesn’t permit BP weapons during regular firearms deer season hunts, and I’m trying to discover why.

Rancocas, your Tennessee lawmakers must be N-S hunters and knowledgeable game managers. Georgia too requires a $19 BP permit to hunt the short late-summer BP season, and offers an all-inclusive Sportsman’s License as well, but still disallows BP hunting during firearms deer season (though any muzzleloading rifle may be used to take turkey).

Big Bore, I’ve no sympathy for you ”“ a people get the government they deserve, and if you Yanks are happy to shell out $167 for Connecticut’s “favor” of a short BP deer season, you’ve done it to yourselves. (Not to mention the fact that, down here the Confederacy, any game warden who tried to confiscate any weapon would be taking his life in his hands.)

A tip of the hat to you, Kirrmeister, and my best regards to Bavaria, my favorite home-away-from-home, where I became an expert on off-roading with tracked vehicles and lived the Panzerlied.

It may be that the Georgia legislature has simply devoted no thought to the issue of whether muzzleloaders may be employed during the regular firearms season. If so, I guess we’ll just have to make ”˜em change the law.

Thanks again, and best regards to all y'all, Walt

Where did you find a state by state brakdown for comparison,and to save us from doing the homework exactly how many allow ML's in regular seasons and how many don't, TIA

Sorry, TG, I can't help you: I've never found a state-by-state breakdown, and all I know of various states' requirements is what I learned from the responses to this post.

Regards, Walt

North Carolina is excellent in this regard.
A $40 Sportsman license gives complete hunting, trapping, fishing...bow, ML, gun, state game lands, 6 deer tags, 2 turkey tags, plus tags for bear and boar. I hunt exclusively with Flintlocks year round...ML rifles or smoothbores in any all seasons (except bow) no caliber restrictions, etc...tremendous deal for $40...you're covered for anything that swims, crawls, walks, or flys.

(Waterfowl needs a $15 Fed duck stamp of course)

Back