• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Protective oils, etc...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short term is a couple of months, and you have the same humidity we here above you in Ohio. After cleaning any gun, It's is well dried, I go over all the metal with gun oil, and then I give the whole gun inside and out a light wipedown with RIG on a rag. You have to fight off the humudity and rust here.
Ohio Rusty

I've found over the past 50 years or so,that most any product that seals the surface of the metal parts will keep rust at bay.It's My humble opinion,that the most important factor is to be certain that the metal has as close to zero moisture as possible before applying the preservitives.I've used many things to keep the rust away over the years,lard,crisco,motor oil(new and used),3in1 oil,bear grease,hoppes,several outer products, Etc.Etc.I have had good luck with the dreded Bore Butter applied while the metal is very hot .It has worked well both for short and long storage.Many folks on other sites hate BB.(mostly the in-line crowd)As I've said ,to me the most important thing is getting the weapon clean and dry!!!

I have used 3 in 1, Remoil, Wonderlube all with no problems.
Now I use Jim Chambers fine oil on the internal lock parts and his thicker, rust preventative oil inside the barrel and on all exposed steel.
My steel parts are all coated when degreased with Johnsons paste wax, then oiled on top of that after every shooting session.
Sometimes during hunting season they go for a few days without having any oil wiped on them. The paste wax base still protects the metal.

".....Bore Butter applied while the metal is very hot .It has worked well both for short and long storage.
Many folks on other sites hate BB.(mostly the in-line crowd)
As I've said, to me the most important thing is getting the weapon clean and dry!!!

I agree...I've used bore butter for a good 15+[url] years...in[/url] addition to the bore having to be 100% clean and dry, I think the key to success with bore butter is using enough of it...I think those who have problems run a quick store bought bore butter patch down bore and think that's enough...and I fault the manufacturers for not doing a better job of bringing out this point in their instructions...maybe I'm wrong.

But I believe it really has to be packed in there to ensure every square inch is coated...I use several passes with a heavily lubed patch spread with extra bore butter out of a tube...bores are still bright and shiny today.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is in a clear plastic bottle and is red but not red like tranni fluid.it is perfictly runny as it dont go where you dont want it to.

It takes verry little to lube gun parts.My first thaught was that it was for nail guns but I use those alot and the oil for that is yellow.The only other markings on the lable is what I posted.

This is an 8 oz bottle.I can appily it with a tooth pic as it lubes verry well.I put 5 drops on a rag and wipe the guns down and no rust.I appily one time a month.

This stuff sounds very much like the synthetic lubricant that Crosman sent me some samples of to lube the seals on BB guns. I had sent for a manual, as I had bought a used 760 and they slso sent me some felt cleaning pellets and a few little tear open plastic (vinyl?) packs that only had maybe 2 or 3 ml of the lubricant in them. It is VERY thin and RUNNY. It is hard to apply by squeezing the little tube, and it seems to work REALLY WELL!

Talking to my one RS buddy, there are some reddish synthetic lubes that are used for keeping the O-Rings and seals pliable and soft in very cold weather (same thing as cold air in high altitudes). Remember the shuttle disaster in 1987? Brittle O-Ring cracked, followed by LARGE KABOOM and SEVEN DEAD space explorers/astronauts. Sad story, but could have been due to not using the right lube...?

I still might be able to get you some more info on similar stuff. Like you said, always be careful with these mystery oils. Most hydraulic fluids are extremely poisonous. Some have penetrants that will allow them to go right through your skin as well. BE very cautious to keep the stuff ONLY where you want it.

ALWAYS use enough gun,
WV_Hillbilly

PS Will be in touch, IF I find something new out.

Back