• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pulling a stuck ball/ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg98adams

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This worked like a charm to pull a ball from my T/C Renegade last week. I used the deck post (4x4) to tie the end around and pulled back on the barrel.

Pull_rod_idea.gif

Yup, the rope trick works great! :thumbsup:
A simple Clovehitch on the rod works.
I tie the rope in a statonary high place and with both hands on the rifle, pull down.

Good tip.

If a bit of leather from the 1" by a foot or so I carry as flint wraps doesn't help for grip I use a rolling hitch and a length of tarred marline I carry. I tie the loose end to a branch and push the rifle down.

rolling_hitch.jpg

Great information and thanks for sharing. Wish I had thought of that two weeks back when I cut short an outing to go home and clamp my range rod in a bench vise.

Nice way of putting a T handle on a rod with out a brass tip. I put threaded brass tips on all of the ramrods I make so that if one gets stuck I can put on a T handle and step on the handle and use my legs to pull. You can get a lot more pull with your legs than your arms! :idunno: :idunno:

I also stand on a tee handle when pulling a ball. This works well for me................watch yer top knot...........

That is a great idea. My experience was a short starter that was the wrong size and wedged against the patch deep enough only an inch or inch and a half was showing outside the barrel. Clamped vise grips on the starter and tapped on the vise grips with a hammer to back out the starter. Worked great except the starter was only good for kindling afterwards.

Chinese finger trap. Wouldn't this work with a rope tied to the one end. That way it is pulling the rod straight and not going to break the end off by pulling at an angle like the way the rope is tied to the rod.

Latest posts

Back