• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purchasing powder- a humorous outing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwilliams3

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Whenever I get the inevitable Gander Mt. gift card for Christmas, I end up using it to add to my powder supply. Never mind that the price is now over 20 DOLLARS!!! If I don’t use it on powder, I’ll end up using it on shotgun shells or something that I don’t need any more of- and we can ALWAYS use more powder, right?

Well, this local Gander Mt. has supplied me with a number of lbs. since it came to town, and prior to a few years ago, the price was good enough to buy there (without a gift card). Anyhow, every time I’ve gone in there and asked for REAL black powder, it usually takes two or three people to figure out that they do, indeed, carry the stuff in the “back room”. Then they have to go search the place for about a half hour and make me feel like I’m buying blackmarket explosives. When they finally ring me up, I get the inevitable questions (“are you a reenactor? Cause only reenactors buy this stuff”) and the know-it-all comments (“I wouldn’t use this stuff, son. It’s so hard to clean and extremely corrosive.”)

This time around did not disappoint. On the way home from work, I had some time to kill. Passing the Gander Mt., I assessed the amount of time it would take to jump through the hula hoops weighed with the opportunity to finally use this doggone gift card that was burning a hole in my wallet- I decided that I should go ahead and add to my ever dwindling (or ever expanding) powder supply.

I walked straight to the back and asked the first unassuming employee in the firearms section, “Can I please have one pound of FFFG Goex black powder.” As he opened his mouth to tell me to look over at the supply of synthetic substitutes, I specified “I need REAL black powder, not a sub.” He continued to motion to the big wooden case with the subs. “If we got any, it’d be in there, man.” He replied.

Once again restating my need, I asked for black powder, which I assured him would be located in the back, out of view from the general shopper. And once again, he told me that it would be in the big wooden cabinet, and that I could “take a look for myself.” Knowing full well that it would not be there, I strolled over and opened up the case, quickly scanning the rows of substitute gunpowder.

“not a problem,” I thought. “It usually takes a couple tries anyhow.” I looked for the next employee, a gentleman who was a tad older and more experienced looking that the last and requested the same thing as I had the last time, specifying numerous times what I did and did not need and telling him that I had purchased it there many times and where he could find it (in the back). He told me to look in the cabinet. “Not there,” says I. and I explained the federal law pertaining to selling and displaying black powder. He looked at me like I was speaking Elvish and wearing a Gandalf hat. “We don’t sell that stuff, man.” We talked for a minute and he gave me advice on shooting a flintlock. Apparently, sabots and Pyrodex are necessary and not nearly as dangerous, inaccurate, and corrosive as the real stuff.

So I asked a third employee. This guy was unsure, so he asked the first guy I had talked to. The first guy came back over and repeated what he had told me earlier. A final attempt to get him to at least pretend to look was futile. “I’m sorry. We don’t sell that stuff, and if we did, it would be with the other gun powder” was all I got. Yet another person who was standing nearby added “we have sold it in the past, but we don’t have any right now.”

I was about to give up when I spotted a grey-haired gentleman talking with a customer in the back. This guy had actually retrieved it for me on several occasions in the past.

When he was done speaking with his customer, I asked him if they had stopped carrying black powder. “no, of course not” he replied. “you can’t just pick it up off the shelf” As if that’s what I had tried to do to begin with. While I was talking to him, one of the four people I had talked with earlier came over and reiterated what they had stated numerous times. This was while the grey-haired gentleman was in the back getting my can of Goex. Finally, I got ringed up and handed him my gift card. He did not disappoint me with his barrage of advice/questions on shooting black powder firearms. “you should have bought FFG, not FFFG. The 3f is harder to clean and you can only use it in pistols” Was just one gem of wisdom I walked away with.

In the end, my gift card bought me one lb. of Goex and a little bit of frustration. Next time, I’d rather have cash! :wink:

Every time I go to the one in Greensboro I ask for it, never have gotten it...Really wonder if they might carry it as well...I usually just go to the distributor and buy there...Still like to harass the folks there anyway...

love the read, i thought i only got the royal runaround when asking for such things.

I "have" to buy my Goex at Bass Pro Shop around here.Before I even go to the restroom at the store,I go put my order in for Goex.I go shop for about 30-40 minutes and usually still have to wait a few minutes for the worker to retrieve it.Always go for the oldest person in the department.

Now if it were me, being the anal body part that I oftem come across as, I would save your original text (cut and paste) and gather every email address that I could, by finding the board of directors, home office, "to contact us" ect and email it to every one of them.
Guaranteed, you WILL get someone's attention up the ladder. Usually a "VP" or someone like that.
I dont tend to put up with mentality from employees who think the know the rules better than me, nor from the folks put into a position to represent a business without full knowledge of what they are representing.

You've heard of the guy that sends his big mac back because it doesn't look like the represenitive sample in the picture on the menu? (you know the burger with the patty 1/2 off one side and the top bun crushed and 1/2 off on the other side) Well, Thats me.

email addy's for upper end management and ceo staff as well as BOD folks is pretty easy to come by. Usually their own corporate home page will get you there!

Great story by the way!

My wife wants us to retire near a Cabelas or Bass Pro so I can work in the Gun Dept. for some benefits & spending money.

I guess I'll be the "old guy with white hair" that knows where the Goex is :rotf: :rotf: :haha: :haha: only my service will come with a smile instead of lip service :shake: . But don't worry, I'll make sure that the manager orders quarter-pound cans of 4Fg for you flinter guys!

Great story and I've been there and done that, so I feel your pain!

Dave

As a last resort, Always ask to speak to the STORE MANAGER. If anyone knows if he has Black Powder in the back room, that is the guy. And tell him what the idiots are saying to you, so he begins to understand why he doesn't sell more of it. If you are local, Like Mr. Williams, offer to take him, or the Sporting goods manager out and show him how to load, shoot, and clean flintlocks!

They really don't know.

If you succeed in getting them out with you, you will have made a friend for life. And destroying all those Myths they have in their heads is a worth while effort as well. :thumbsup:

Yea that is the way to get action. I had a real problem with a company that kept giving me a different shipping date on a piece of equipment I had paid for. When I got TWO catalogs in the mail with the same piece on the cover. I sent the company president an email telling him I considered it an insult and demanded my money back. I got a person to person phone call three hours after I sent the email apolagising and giving me his personal phone number to call if I did not recieve the equipment wihin 48 hours ( I did) but I still don't buy from them!

Think long and hard about working for Bass Pro. I did for awhile- very few benefits and even less spending money(they don't pay much). Don't know about Cabela's. After a few nights of hearing know it all rednecks tell you what guns you should have and griping about prices and handling nearly every firearm on display before leaving w/o buying anything, you'll wish you never worked retail.

Did you get the older gentleman to tell the other three that they did in fact sell the REAL BLACKPOWDER? :hmm:

Just called bass pro in my area got someone to say they have REAL BLACK 2f 3f and 4f 17.99 lb. The first person I talked to :grin:

Great story, just a reminder that the best things in life are worth working for. Reminds me of the last time I went to the gun shop for powder. I walked and was asked what I needed. Must have had a puzzled look on my face because the powder magazine that usually sat on the floor at the end of the pistol display case was not there. Told them I need 2 lbs of 2F. The reply was no problem”¦be right back. Seems that the ATF inspector had just been in and demanded that the magazine be moved out of the main store area. Why? I asked. The reply was “Guess he didn’t like it because someone kept putting the ashtray on top of the magazine”. Isn’t that why a magazine is required? I asked. The response, “New guy, first time he’s been here.”

I gave up asking for real black locally, nobody has it, and I get tired of listening to how pyrodex will work in my flinter. I mail order it in 20-30 pound lots, pay the one shot hazmat fee and no hassles. Most of my muskets and pistols are big bore and they eat it up fast.

I agree with Brett and Ohio ramrod..I was in senior management long enough to know that a well run company wants to know about the problems. A couple of years ago, my club was having a run-around problem with our local Tractor Supply company. I googled them, got a story of a company that claimed to want to do right, and wrote a polite letter to the CEO...in 3 days from mailing I came home at 2200 hrs, and my wife handed me a phone number..guy had called 3 times in 2 hours..I called, and he said he was the regional manager, and asked what I wanted. I said, "a new tractor" and he gave me one 2 days later...I wrote a thankyou to the CEO, and he mailed me a copy of the company's history book..Hank a opermanent Tractor Suppy customer

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be The Standard Thing with all big box stores. Not just powder. No matter what you want, if you don't see it on the shelf and you have to ask about it, you've just moved into la-la land. Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, you name it.

I was in the Cabelas just outside Olympia WA last December to pick up a CO2 discharger. Had them on the shelf, but no adapters. The clerk (plenty old enough to have some experience, but heart attack fat) was thrilling an audience with tales of inlines when I asked for them.

He did a WC Fields "Get outa here kid, ya bother me" and directed me to the air gun department. I got PO'ed by his attitude and pointed out he knew duck spit about muzzleloaders, since the discharger came from his department, and pointed them out on the nearby shelf. He blushed and stammered, and his audience kinda drifted away.

Big box stores have done their darnedest to kill off the small stores, but gains are short term if they staff the counters with underpaid novices.

Back