• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pyrodex for flinters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriskletke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody know if using pyrodex black powder work in flintlocks??? I'm going to Africa for a hunt next year and have been told by guides that black powder isn't permitted in the country without special permits, but pyrodex is permitted to be brought from the US. Thanks.

Chris

Have them get the special permits if you want to shoot a flintlock. Pyrodex is fine for percussion guns, but has too high a flashpoint to work in flintlocks. To shoot pyrodex, you need a " booster charge " of Black powder to get it started, and that just takes you back to getting those special permits, NO?

Or, forego using a flintlock, and take a percussion rifle, shooting Pyrodex instead.

I think TC makes a flintlock to shoot the Pyrodex pellets. They use them in Pa. in Flintlock season. I think it is called,Pellet Rifle? Has a plastic stock. Dilly

chriskletke said:
Does anybody know if using pyrodex black powder work in flintlocks??? I'm going to Africa for a hunt next year and have been told by guides that black powder isn't permitted in the country without special permits, but pyrodex is permitted to be brought from the US. Thanks. Chris

Does that mean YOU can't bring black powder with you, or that the guides can't supply you with black powder?

Can black powder be bought locally, with or without permits?

An acquaintance hunted with a flint gun in Africa a coupla years ago. I don't remember where he hunted, but black powder was apparently available through local contacts.

I would ask the guide/outfitter about local acquisition of powder. If your contact gives you the run around, I suggest trying a different guide/outfitter who might be more cooperative.

IMO, another "Par for the course."

Isn't it ironic that there would be all sorts of red tape involved in having a little bit of black powder but hordes of people are running around with fully automatic AK's?

I would think that a good guide would know where to find some real black powder for his hunter.

Wow, a primative hunt in Africa sounds like a great deal.What are you hunting?

But I thought most of the big bore loads and guns developed for large game in India and Africa were mainly percussed before the advent of magnum cartridges,seems a bit safer? Although supposedly pygmies ran under elephants discharging cut down trade flinters into their bellies to dispatch them? Are your guides real short??? (hee he, sorry.)

T.C.A

Albert,
I read a first edition of the story of looking for Livingston in Africa. One of the hunters in the book had a double barreled flinter for big game. One day both locks failed to set off their barrels and the hunter had to be backed up with a percussion gun.
volatpluvia

chriskletke said:
Does anybody know if using pyrodex black powder work in flintlocks??? I'm going to Africa for a hunt next year and have been told by guides that black powder isn't permitted in the country without special permits, but pyrodex is permitted to be brought from the US. Thanks.

Chris

Hello Chris.
Allow me to run this little scenario past you for the sake of lighthearted conversation, let's say you are on the African Safari hunting trip with your flintlock and you have a charge of pyrodex down the bore when all of a sudden, a fully grown male cape buffalo comes crashing out towards you in full charge. One whole ton of irate meat is stampeding your way with intent on making you that squishy feeling between his toes. Now do you want to use a powder charge that "might" go off in your flintlock or get the permit and put a charge in that "will" detonate with authority? :grin:

hi ho chris,

yes, but you do need a black powder boost. a legal way to bring black into the country is to load up some cartridges with black, pull the bullets after you get there and you will have more than enuff black for priming and the boost.

a good 'boost' wold be 2 shots from a brass pan primer. did it for years and it works great..

..ttfn..grampa..

A simple question, have you been to Africa?

I have and a professional hunter does not let his client be stepped on, a flattened client is not good for repeat busineess nor referrals.

RDE

Wow, so many---Can pyrodex be used in a flinter? threads.

Simple answer: No.

Use only real black powder. Alot of special permits needed for hunting in Africa. The first question is how much is this special permit?

Also, I luv the post about loading up some cartridges with real black and then emptying them once you get there!

There are many ways to skin a cat, but when it comes to loads in a Flintlock, use only real black powder.

Being always a contrarian, I tried BP substitutes in my flinter. Tried RS and P grades of Pyrodex, 2Fg and 3Fg grades of Triple Seven, as well as Shockey's and Pinnacle.

The only one that would go off with any regularity was the 3Fg Triple Seven, and then only if primed with 4Fg black. Ignition with this combination was noticeably slow- flash...............bang. Priming with the substitutes just didn't work. I theorize that flint on steel sparks just don't have enough energy to raise the substitutes to their ignition temperature. Tried rolling a tablespoon or so of the substitutes between two sheets of typing paper to crack the particles, but this didn't help. Used up a whole box of CO2 cylinders to unload the various non-firing charges.

I like Triple Seven in my cap rifles, but gave away the remaining substitutes. It's BP and BP only for flinters.

SAL

roundball said:
Richard Eames said:
A simple question, have you been to Africa?

I have and a professional hunter does not let his client be stepped on, a flattened client is not good for repeat busineess nor referrals.

RDE
I think MM's scenario was tongue-in-cheek :wink:

True, it was meant as a light hearted joke, nothing more.

I do realize that they do a very professional job at protecting their clients, and I am sure behind every hunter is a back-up man with a .600 Nitro Express or a .458 Winchester Mag.

My scenario was just a "what if" the Pyrodex didn't go off notion, I did not mean any reflection against the safari guides in any way.

A friend of mine recently got back from africa where he hunted exclusively with a BOW and ARROW. Yes, he went after lion. too.

He did get a lion. Weighed over 500 pounds and nine feet long. It may break the record for lion taken with a bow.

Some say he is nuts. But whether you shoot with a bow, or a flinter, or a modern rifle mistakes can happen and as pointed out the PH's are there for backup in modern times. The key though is NO pyrodex in a flintlock unless you want an inferior powder type for that type of gun.

I would think if you can afford an African Safari you can afford all the permits you would ever need :grin:

Just started finding out about permits and whatnot. Some of the guides seem to have a v line on buying black powder locally. The idea of using cartridges to carry black powder over is a good idea as well. As for faith in my fintlocks I've killed bear before and they can be dangerous. So not too worried about taking a cape buffalo, lion, leopard and a kudu. Most of the guides do carry weapons to back you up as hunter and my father will also be backing me up with a 416 rigby. And I'm also taking either a 460S&W or 500 S&W. Just need to find out more research about the permits. I am glad for the advice about the pyrodex though. Thanks.

Chris

Back