• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex in Flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I use BP in my front loaders and C&B revolvers, there was a time I used Pyrodex in all my cap guns. I still use it in 12 ga. loads for the simple reason it works better. I use AA shells and wads, with real BP I get one loading and the shell is useless. With Pyrodex I get 6 - 8 loadings per shell. Pyrex doesn't melt the plastic shell.

Vomir le Chien said:
One day I might drive to the powder house here in Maine and try some Blessed Black Powder.Just appears to be a lot of extra work,,

Well worth the 2 1/2 hour drive...
Ordering it would much easier...

Real blackpowder has many advantages over substitutes....

It's cheaper.
it cleans easier.
It offers better ignition
It works in flintlocks
It is non toxic.(all substitutes are toxic)
It's period correct.
It's safer to use.IMO

Once you go black.....You'll never go back.

I think I would mail order black powder if it was not available locally. Plenty of gun shops sell it around here.
Maybe a friend that travels could pick some up for you?

Maine Powder House has free shipping on 25# of powder, so save yourself time and money and buy a case.

Never heard of Maine Powder House, just looked and their prices plus the free shipping is a good deal.

Well, since this topic is posted under the flintlock forum area, I would say that Pyrodex in a flinter is not good. It's not going to work well.

Now in a caplock it has a better chance of success. But I know first hand that pyrodex can leave you cussing like a sailor. I've had two occasions when Pyrodex let me down in my caplock. That's why I'll never waste money on it ever again.

I won't try it in my flintlock ever. :td: :nono:

azmntman said:
GEEZ! Why didnt I think of that?

Maybe you read the can of blackpowder where it recommends you do not do that.

Do not mix this powder with a powder of any other type.

Pyrodex is an oxidant. It gives more "oompoh" to the black powder as well as adding it's own kick. Likely not alarmingly high pressures; but 1 + 1 might equal 3.

Just be aware.

I did it for years before I got here....had only a half can of black left and was "rationing it" Now its BP only for me.....(cept at $9.99 a lb I did buy some MZ just to see what it would do in my ROA :redface:

I dont own a flinter yet, so take this for what its worth. While I have used Pyrodex almost universally for my caplocks, I have looked at the flashpoint numbers. Pyrodex ignites at a much higher temperature than real black. I dont think Pyrodex would be less reliable in ignition based upon that alone..

MPH is about half way between L.L. Bean and Kittery Trading Post,,what's not to love.Still 5 lbs is a bit much for my needs.However it is available, that is good news.

I use 4f goex to prime and about 10gr of 4f goex under 60grs of pyrodex 2f in my .58 flintlock, I can't tell the difference between a full charge of 2f goex and the above load, haven't tried a full load of pyrodex with a real bp prime though

I use a .570 ball with a .010 patch and hit with the same accuracy as I do with real powder, it's a little annoying to load but it's saves my real black, which unless ordered is next to impossible to get around here

Adui said:
I dont own a flinter yet, so take this for what its worth. While I have used Pyrodex almost universally for my caplocks, I have looked at the flashpoint numbers. Pyrodex ignites at a much higher temperature than real black. I dont think Pyrodex would be less reliable in ignition based upon that alone..

whats the temp of the sparks thrown from the lock? It NEVER worked in the pan for me, works just fine in the bore OVER a 10 gr primer charge of real black

The only way I can get pyrodex to ignite is if the pan is so full it's pushing the fizzes up a little, and even then it's supper slow but that's with a full charge and prime using pyrodex

Adui said:
I'm reading between the lines here but based on the context of the sentence I'm sure you meant to say,

"Pyrodex ignites at a much higher temperature than real black. I think Pyrodex would be less reliable in ignition based upon that alone..".

Notice that the word "dont" was removed.

I'll add to this, Pyrodex burns much like smokeless powder does when it is out in the open.
It's only when it is confined inside the barrel that it burns rapidly and delivers any real power.

For those who haven't tried this, if you pour a small pile of Pyrodex out on a flat surface and hold a lit match to it, it goes, "swisssssssssh" as a cloud of smoke rises from it.

If you do the same thing with a equal pile of black powder, when it ignites it goes POOF!.

The uncontained black powder actually explodes in a flash.

That flash and explosion drives the flame thru the touch hole and ignites the main powder charge.

The Pyrodex "swisssssssssssh" develops heat but without the force of the small explosion there is nothing to drive the heat thru the vent hole to ignite the main powder charge.

I suppose if there was enough Pyrodex in the pan to fill up the vent hole it could become a fuse and eventually light the main powder charge but that's no way to run a railroad, ah says. :)

I'm reading between the lines here but based on the context of the sentence I'm sure you meant to say,

"Pyrodex ignites at a much higher temperature than real black. I think Pyrodex would be less reliable in ignition based upon that alone..".

That makes much more sense..... :thumbsup:
And anyone who has tried it can attest that is is ....

Pyrodex in a flintlock is like trying to burn diesel in a gas engine. With a whole lot of monkeying it can be done, but not worth the trouble. Because we have a flintlock only season, we can get real black powder at a number of places. I have tried Pyrodex, and trip 777 in my percussion guns but went permanently back to real black for everything.

Pyrodex? Never touch the stuff. Again, I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones. I buy my powder through the club I belong to. Sure does make it easy. :thumbsup:

Note none of my GOEX cans have any warning about mixing powders.

Mine are the metal cans and before a lawyer created the problem.

At the time a pre amount of REAL black powder was readily recommended to use a charge of black powder to shoot a main charge of Pyrodex.

But now the lawyers and their followers say no using GOEX

My suggestion is use the Black powder cans that don't have that warning, but I am old school who must be ignored.

NOT PC for sure.

Back