• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question about muzzloader barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golliej

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
I am wanting to clean the barrel of my muzzleloader by running a cleaning rod all the way through it. However. the butt end of the barrel has a rectangular shaped screw (maybe not a screw) that I am afraid to mess with because I don't know if it is meant to screw off. Is this a screw that is meant to come off for cleaning purposes or not?

NO

STOP!
you will ruin the barrel if you attemp to remove the breech plug.
A muzzle loader does not clean like a centerfire rifle, these are a whole different creature.

post your email here
and I will gladly send you electronic copies of the CVA and the LYMAN owners manuals that come with the guns. they arefull of care and cleaning info, not to mention load reccommendations.

You dont run the rod all the way through when cleaning a ML. I put several gallons of HOT! water in a bucket, pull the barrel out of the stock and place the barrell nipple end down in the hot water. A patch on a cleaning jag attached to the end of your ramrod will pull water from the bucket up through the bore and when you push the rod downwards, purges the barrel of fouling. The patch acts like a piston ring and seals the jag against the bore so when you pull up it actually draws water with it, much like a syringe will pull medication out of a bottle. I flush a few strokes with the nipple in to flush it out, remove the nipple and continue flushing the bore, changing patches every 10 cycles or so until the patch comes out clean. I then change to a fresh bucket of HOT! water and continue until I feel all is clean and the patches are white. I then dry the exterior of the barrel with a rag and run dry patches down the bore. For some reason, maybe the added friction from lack of water? more residue comes out at this point, not black crud kinda light brown (Flash rust?). A few dry patches and it's gone. Blow the whole thing down with compressed air since water seems to get trapped under the barrel rib and between sights and dovetails, etc. Swab the bore with rust preventative oil of choice (I use Ballistol) wipe the barrel exterior surfaces and the barrel channel of the stock and put it back together. I run a pipe cleaner through the ignition channel and the base of the nipple, lightly oil the nippl e threads and reinstall the nipple. I like to fold a cleaning patch in 1/4's and let the hammer down on it for storage. That's how I do it. Some may have variations of it. Periodically I pull the lock, clean it and re oil and check the screws for any loose ones.
Idaho PRB

for a clean up just for the night i put a plastic hose on the nipple and drop the other end in a can of hot water wet the patch and run it up and down the barrel pumping water in an out through the nipple. then dry and oil.

for a good clean up like you are going to put it away for a week or more. i then do like above but also put a few drops of dish soap down the barrel. then pump it till i have suds in the can. then change to clean hot water do again. dry and clean. i have found that frfles are better stored harizonal.rather then standing up.

I like to put a few inches of hot water in the bathtub then lay my barrel in it and let it fill with water and soak for an hour or so after I am finished shooting. Then, I dump out the water and rinse with hot water some more. Then, I get out the bronze brush and give the bore a good scouring with some Murphy's Oil Soap, then rinse again with hot water. Sometimes I will use a bit of Scotchbrite wrapped around the cleaning jag for the same purpose. After that, I run paper towels through the bore with the cleaning jag until they come out dry and clean and the bore looks all nice and shiny when I point my little flashlight down it.

brett sr said:
NO

STOP!
you will ruin the barrel if you attemp to remove the breech plug.
A muzzle loader does not clean like a centerfire rifle, these are a whole different creature.

post your email here
and I will gladly send you electronic copies of the CVA and the LYMAN owners manuals that come with the guns. they arefull of care and cleaning info, not to mention load reccommendations.

My dad won this gun on a tip board like ten years ago and it didn't come with any manuals so that would be great. my adress is [email protected]

Back