• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the small game hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you used 7 1/2 shot on squirrels? My buddy and I are planning a squirrel hunt with our smoothbores. I have been working with 6 shot amd get pretty fair results but of course that little voice in my head is wondering if 7 1/2 might be a good choice.
Anyone with any experience with smaller shot?
thanks
Kevin

Squirrels can take a heck of a hit, ever seen one rolled by a car and run away. This past summer I watched one fall over 60 feet out of a tree, bounce when it hit the ground, then run away. This means for tiny shot like #7 1/2 to be effective you need to hit them with most, if not all, of the pattern. That is a lot of tiny shot to pick out of your meal.
I prefer #5 for the energy and the size being easier to pick out,, and less of them,,, and I try to hit them with the edge of the pattern. If I were using #6 shot I would do the same, hold just off of them and try to get them with a few pellets at the edge of the pattern.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured 5 or 6 was the way to go but had to ask
And yes I will keep you posted on the hunt
Thanks again
Kevin

It really depends on your bore size, amount of choke, and how many pellets you load with.

This is just me, but i like to use larger...mainly because if you aim a little closer to the head than you should have, and the ring of pellets extend into the body, then you only have one or two pellets to pull out, vs 5 or 6....7.5 shot can really ruin a squirrel.

Pattern it and see. It might be something you can work with once you see how it prints.

Shot and skinned a bunch of squirrels in my lifetime. Loaded all my own shells , also. Squirrels have tough hides , "bout 1975 , quit using modern shotguns altogether , and applied my modern ctg. shotgun experience to m/l 's. Found it best to jump up one shot size for m/l hunting. 1 1/4 OZ. #5 shot kills good in 10 GA , and 12 GA. Will try this idea in a new scratch built .55 cal. smooth rifle soon as she's finished. Excited!!!!!!!!...........oldwood :thumb:

Dont own a smooth bore yet but I load my own 20 and 28 with 1 ounce and 3/4 ounce of #4s. Was given a large supply of them a while back and have been using them ever since when I use shotgun for squirrel. I aim forward on them and really like the way they perform plus I hate to see free stuff go to waste.

...mainly because if you aim a little closer to the head than you should have, and the ring of pellets extend into the body, then you only have one or two pellets to pull out
Yup, this is what I'm talking about when I mention using the edge of the pattern. Only I'm hoping to get more in the head and as few as possible in the body.

While I have used 7 1/2’s on squirrels, like others, I find size 6 to be a more effective killer. Quite a few that I’ve shot with 7 1/2’s may have eventually died, but not before they made it to a hole in the tree. They are small targets and their hide is very thick compared to a rabbits, deterring penetration and killing energy. Skinning squirrels shot with 7 1/2’a has revealed many pellets just under skin.

I have to admit to not having tried 7 1/2 shot on squirrels....always seemed a bit small to me, but like anything, one probably just has to know the limitations of any given load and stick to that. Personally, I've tried 4's, plated 5's, and 6's and 6's seem to be the best size for me. Plenty of penetration out to 25 yards...very effective. Enough pellets in a 1 1/4 oz load that I can be off a bit or actually shoot them running sometimes and still get BB's in them for a kill.

Squirrels are really tough dudes for sure. That's why I mostly ditched shot in favor of a single projectile many years ago. I'll use my .32 or .36 over shot any day. Shot is fine for rabbits but Mr. Squirrel...NAH!

Haven't shot any small game w/ shot gun , since 1997. Been using a .40 long rifle , love it , but just have to try a smooth rifle , after listening all the talk on the forum. How am I supposed to be a xspert If'in I hante punched a few critters w/ my scratch built smooth rifle?????? :dunno:..oldwood

I used a lot of #7 1/2 on greys and birds but aways used some #5 copper plated on fox squirrels and rabbits. those were just what I had. that was with a DP made Navy Arms T&T shooting 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 oz. square loads, nito card over powder and thin card over shot.
I have a TC 56 SB and a TC Hawken with a .50 smooth bore I hope to use soon. will probably use the smaller shot to up the pellet count and just get close.

Back