• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quick Chisel Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmeyer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a few real small chisels and not finding any. Can they be purchased in small sizes like 3/16 or 3/32 like the ones Zonie made? Or would I be better off just buying 1/4 inch and grinding it down? Thanks all.

Might be able to find them at any quality wood worker supply store.

Can't find that stuff at any of the Big Box Home Repair Emporiums that pop up like weeds. They mostly got shelves fulla manure and people who don't have much knowledge in anything.

Check Woodcrafters online store they will have just about anything you need in the line of chisels.
Also check ebay they have a lot of the smaller chisels in small kits some of these are not the highest quality but they will do OK if you are just making an occasional gun, and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Regards, Dave

Make your own from scrap pieces of saw blade or some folks use high carbon concrete nails that are annealed, shaped, hardened and sharpened. I have made small chisels from old, dull X-acto knife blades that I shaped and hardened with an oil quench. Cheap and fairly easy.
Black Hand

Kmeyer,

I have had good results with the Flexcut chisels since Birddog turned me onto them. I think I got the mini-palm set but the gentleman running the place will work with you on what you want in a set.
Even buying the set you will end up making some of your own for special needs. Broken needle files make some dandy chisels.

woodcarving supply web page

Hope that helps some,
PD

I just ordered two sets of the Lee Valley chisels, they will be here in a couple of days. I think these are the same ones Bob has... he can probably comment on them.

if there the 5 piece sets most likely....i did all my lock inletting with them along with the tang end and also did the barrel lugs too....came out pretty good if i do say so myself.................bob

I find small screwdrivers in the tool bin at the pawn shop and grind them into chisels. Cheap, and they work good.

I think I spent a total of about $4.00 for more than enough material to build these little chisels.
chiselstext.jpg

That was the cost of one 3/8 inch wooden dowel, a piece of 1/16 diameter music wire and a piece of 5/64 dia music wire.

The music wire is available at places like Ace Hardware or a local hobby shop. Those who build flying model airplanes use this stuff for all kinds of things like landing gear, push rods etc. I mention this because that's the reason hobby shops carry it.

The wire is pre hardened so cutting it is a chore unless you anneal it or use a grinder.
It also helps to anneal it so you can pound the end out flat to make the blade of the chisel. Then file it to width, and file the 20 degree angle on it.
Reharden it using a propane torch and oil for a quenching fluid. Gently temper it to a straw yellow color (450 degrees F).
Grind and hone the cutting edge on it, then polish it to a mirror finish.
Drill a hole in a little piece of wooden dowel and insert the chisel.

I usually file a flat on the handle on the straight (untapered) side of the chisel so I have a easily seen indicator to let me know which way it is being held. These old eyes don't see the chamfer on something that's only (1/16 inch wide.)

I usually file a flat on the handle on the straight (untapered) side of the chisel so I have a easily seen indicator to let me know which way it is being held. These old eyes don't see the chamfer on something that's only (1/16 inch wide.)

I like to do that to all my chisels to foil the chisel magnet in my concrete shop floor. They're always wanting to roll off otherwise.

Hank

You can also buy lengths of tool steel from industrial supply houses like Enco very cheap, take your pick of oil or water hardening stock. You can buy them in all manner of widths and thicknesses requiring only that you learn the very simple and enjoyable taske of hardning and tempering. All of which you can do for chisel size objects with a propane torch and the kitchen oven. I've built many different chisels this way. It is a hobby in it's own way and a very economical way to build a set of fine tools. Plus for certain application tools I can alter the heat treat to suite the situation.

One trick I've learned is to buy hexagonal barstock and forge the chisel on one end. When you cut the forged section off the bar you can leave enough extra for a nice handle, it just takes a bit of rounding on the end and you have a one piece chisel that won't roll off your bench and you don't need to worry about making a wood handle. Also when making larger sweeps for stock shaping these excel since you can't destroy them by hitting with the mallet.

Back