• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Quick Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickman15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My Kentucky rifle kit (traditions)instructions say "Test that the wedge transverses from the right side of stock to the cut out on the left side. remove wedge" This is in regards to the trigger assembly. The tang screw fits perfectly into the assembly, the trigger pull is moderate (like it says it should be) and everything else looks great. What the heck is a wedge? Are they talking about the brass wedge on the trigger itself? They way I read t they are talking about something horizontal, not vertical like the trigger. Thanks in advance for any advice or answers!

To show you the wedge or key is the flat piece that goes through the escutcheons and holds everything together.

ne36t.JPG

I do not have anything like those, nor do they mention it on the parts list. Im assuming on mine the tenons and tenon pins are what hold the barrel to the stock, because there are dovetails on the underside of the barrel that I have to drill and drive pins through.I double checked the parts list and no mention of a wedge.The only metal piece on the front stock is the joining plate (that I can see).

Are the instructions model specific? They may cover several different models, some of which have barrel wedges.

Your barrel might be pinned instead of wedged. Look for something that looks like the end of a nail in the stock alongside and below the barrel.

mickman15
It does sound like the instructions were written for the general assembly of Traditions kits and not your rifle.

The wedges that are supposed to go from one side of the stock to the other are the same wedges that Swamp Rat shows in his picture.

In the case of your guns, they would be the pins you mentioned.

Thank you Zonie, I appreciate it! Man, I never thought something like ML would grab me like this, I drive a lot at work and all I can think about is building my rifle.

mickman15 said:
What the heck is a wedge? Are they talking about the brass wedge on the trigger itself? They way I read t they are talking about something horizontal, not vertical like the trigger.

The wedge is also called a wedge key, and uaually looks like this.
53-1253.jpg

We have in the links section a glossary of muzzleloading terms that covers things such as wedge keys and the likes.

Glossary Of Muzzleloading Terms

mickman15 said, "I drive a lot at work and all I can think about is building my rifle. "
------
I know the feeling well.

Before retiring, I was in a very high pressure job and I would look forward to getting home and just turning off the pressure and working on building muzzleloaders.
Working on those guns was such a change!
I would have as much time as I needed to solve whatever problems came up with the guns and no one was pushing me for answers except myself.
If I wanted to say to hell with it for the night I could do that too. :)

Beware though, building these things is very addictive and after you've finished one you will start thinking about the next one. :grin:

Back