• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbit with a Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I came home from the hardware store and saw a "target of opportunity." A rabbit was sitting on the edge of my woodlot and stayed there as I went by.
I got my Ruger Old Army out and snuck back within 15 yards while it was eating. I braced against a tree and shot. I thought I missed because it bounded into a thick area about 2 yards away.
I went and got my Boykin and told her to "hunt dead." She did and retrieved it in a matter of half a minute.

Fried rabbit for supper .. one of my favorites.

By the way, rabbits are in season year-round in Florida along with coons, possums, coyotes, and beavers.

If I waited until we get a good frost, I might not eat it for a couple of years. :grin:

Heck yes, I'm going to eat it ... maybe with some of your buttermilk biscuits if I don't mess them up. I'm old enough where I have to die from something pretty soon. :idunno:

info on rabbit fever..

Frost killing tularemia is an old wives tale but not all together false. It's a bacteria and is mostly given to humans from the host rodent by inhaling dander from the animal or by inhaling the flea manure on the animal or via blood born pathogen.

Treat all rabbits like they all have it and you'll never get it. Florida being wet will do much the same for washing off the dander and flea manure as frost will. The cold from frost will kill it as well but only an the external parts of the animal that fall below body (or incubation) temp.

Awesome shot on a fine pot of dinner!!! Love me some rabbit!

Todd

Darren Haverstick said:
You gonna eat it? I always worry about getting tularemia from rabbits before a good frost.

Darren

So a little research and I found ....

http://www.cdc.gov/tularemia/statistics/state.html

It seems in my state, it is a little less likely to GET (not die from) then to be struck by lighting :idunno: I'll put on rubber gloves but that's about as worked up as I'll get over it unless I see an ulcer on the rabbit.

OMG when I saw the topic I thought there was a rabbit running around with a revolver , I thought THAT BEING A RABBIT IT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE A Remington , BUT SAKE I WAS WRONG AGAIN :cursing:

I have killed perhaps a thousand cottontails with all kinds of arms, pistols, rifles, shotguns, slingshots, pellet guns. Skinned most of them with no gloves. I have never gotten any thing from them but fleas sometimes. I have known one person in my life who had "rabbit fever" as a kid and he was my best friend and rabbit hunter for over 40 years after till he died from a heart attack. I still miss him.

Back