• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ramrod channel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunnie61

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've almost have the swamped barrel inletted into my slab-o-maple and will get started on the ramrod hole and channel next week. Here are my questions: Is it common for ramrods to work themselves loose while transporting the rifle? If I have a straight continuous hole and channel what will keep the ramrods from falling out? Or is this really a problem?

I have never held much less built or shot a flintlock rifle so you can see I have no experience in this area. I'll post some photos of the build so far as soon as my premium membership goes through. Tom

Between the pipes, the forearm hole and good old friction they stay put very well.

Another point is that ramrods for 18th c. should be tapered. You can taper fit them to be quite snug.

Would I have to taper the back of the hole as well? I am going to route the channel with a core box bit then gun drill the rest of the way.

If I drill the back of the ramrod hole to match the taper of the ramrod, would that cause sort of a Morris taper and make it difficult to remove? Tom

The cooked ramrods stay put pretty good. Also, alot of builders use tapered rods. Where do they get them? They make them. If using a .50-.54 cal. a 7/16" rod tapered to 3/8" is usual. They look nice too. Take a 7/16" rod and taper it down to fit the first thimble. Some makers will drill the first pipe slightly larger and let the rod get gradually smaller towards the middle pipe. ...Geo.

I wouldn't worry about any tapered ram rod just
yet. This is your first job. Let it teach you. I
have been making these things for a few years and
still havent tapered a rod yet.If it's a must then
just put a flare at the muzzle end. The taper will
give a slimmer thickness to the lock area etc.But
is not that necessary..Like you I use a router to
cut the groove and also the molding on each side
of it..

Dunnie61
Welcome to the Forum and to the Gun Builders Bench.

Don't worry about the ramrod falling out. Make the ramrod groove straight and drill the ramrod hole with a (very long) straight drill letting the ramrod groove guide it.

The best ramrods are made from split Hickory and because split Hickory follows the grain it is never absolutely straight.
The slight bow in the wood will provide all of the retaining friction that is needed to keep it in place.

By the way, don't be tempted to use one of the machined dowels from a wood store. Because they are machined they always have their grain breaking out thru the side of the rod which has caused more than one person to run the split ramrod thru their hand.
The wood they are made from us usually too weak for the job a ramrod has to do.

Thanks everyone for the great info! I will keep it simple on this first build.

Back in Jan. I did a big kitchen remodel in hickory with pecan plywood. Because of this I have gobs of the hickory lumber and fall down available for ramrods so several will be made up and kept in reserve.

Today was more slogging through the barrel inletting. In a few more days and several more chisel sharpenings things should start to look up. Tom

Latest posts

Back