• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range/Cleaning Rod - Great Plains Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8whytenorth

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got my first black powder rifle, a Great Plains .54 caliber...WooHoooo. I've been told I should look for a better cleaning/range rod, being the newbie I am, should I look for brass? Stainless?? One piece?? Several piece rod?? Any help would be appreciated.

:thanks:

:front:

I just got my first black powder rifle, a Great Plains .54 caliber...WooHoooo. I've been told I should look for a better cleaning/range rod, being the newbie I am, should I look for brass? Stainless?? One piece?? Several piece rod?? Any help would be appreciated.

I happen to like solid rods vs. pieced rods...IMO, they seem stronger;

My preferred range rod material is soft polymer covered fiberglass so I don't have to use a muzzle guide...however, they're impossible to find since TC quite making them a few years ago, and even then, they were only about 32" long.

So my other choice is solid brass...and I've replaced all my factory wooden rifle ramrods with solid brass so I won't have any break and hurt myself, or possibly ruin a days hunt.

In those cases, I use lightweight quiet nylon muzzle guides (from Builders Supply). You can have a solid brass range rod made to any length by various ML suppliers, and have the ends drilled and tapped for 10/42 accessories...no accessory ends to pull loose...just one solid piece of brass.

I also found it's helpful to grip and pull the ramrod out from under the barrel if the end of the rod has about a 1.5" non-slip crosshatch pattern scribed into the metal surface for my fingers to grip.

You can also buy 2" wooden balls with a 10/32" bolt run all the way through it so it simply screws into one end of the range rod, and just leave it permanently attached.

I personally would opt for a good brass one piece range rod and muzzle saver for your GPR. With no insult attending my comments to other posters---I personally would not use a fibreglass ram rod---when and if (they do) break, than watch out for the sharp (glass) edges---they will savage you severely :hmm:. I also consider them too floppy, i.e. not enough back bone. This isn't possible with brass---I have heard many controversial stories over the years about fibreglass and the possibility of wearing the rifling at the muzzle area. You might want to try October Country or Tip Curtis as a source for real good brass range rods and accessories---be sure to order a proper sized button jag. :imo:

I like a solid brass range rod, I bought mine at a place called Ozone Mountain. :imo:

Roundball,

Are you talking about replacing the rod that comes with the rifle all together??? I did see some on October Country where if you give them all the info on your gun they will make a custom rod to replace the rod that comes with the gun.

RMC Sports will do the same thing and also have a bunch made up for a lot of different rifles already. I have replaced the factory rods on 2 Traditions Crockett rifles with them. They work great. They do add a little weight, but the Crockett is pretty light to brgin with, so no big deal. www.rmcsports.com

How about aluminum? I made myself a one piece rod for my Bess out of hard aircraft aluminum. I like the lightness for running many patches when I clean at home. I still use the wooden rammer for shooting.

aluminum one, made by traditions. i just broke my rod (32" long) in barrel last week, and replace it with traditions one (32 1/2" long) and it fits perfectlu. handle can be removed (1/8" a.r.) or put back on, as needed. painted mine in brown/ black mix, so it fits the barrel/ wood of the rifle nicely.

I use a long Treso stainless steel range rod about 44 inches with a muzzle protector for a range rod. I've used it for 25 or so years. It's great for the long rifles but a little awkward for the shorter plains rifles.

For those I put together a shorter range rod out of 7/16 hickory about 38" long. I put a tip and handle on it and use it for a range rod. It works well but don't know if I would try to pull a ball with it. I'll probably get a shorter SS rod for the plains rifles later.

I only use the one that's on the rifle if I'm hunting or on a trail walk.

just got a substitute "Rugged Rod" from RMC to give my GPR's original a rest at the range.. Reportedly unbreakable.....seems to do the trick.

BobW

I ordered a brass rod w/T handle from Log Cabin Shop..$15.95.
The T handle will come off if ya want it to. I got the 36" one so I would have a little extra length of rod..for leverage.. :: Now I think it's a tad too long, kindda hard to work with some time. Anyway..just $15.95..
Al

just got a substitute "Rugged Rod" from RMC to give my GPR's original a rest at the range.. Reportedly unbreakable.....seems to do the trick.

BobW

Don't know what that one is like, but I've had two unbreakable synthetic range rods that were made of that black, very flexible stuff...both of them broke.
:shocking:

does have a little wobble to it. I'll just have to see what/how RMC stands behind their products.....

BobW

Greetings Gr8whytenorth,

About 20 years ago, I made and marketed a 5/16 inch diameter stainless steel range rod. Still have some material around.

Send me a PM, if you want to discuss this.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, I am carrying your load.

Hello GR8
My Best Friend and I have been exchanging X Mas gifts for years. We ran out of iders for each other about 10 years ago... So He made me the best range cleaning rod I have ever known. He took a Chimmeny rod threaded the end of it with an male thread outside and a female thread inside... This is so it can take a brush, jag, etc. This rod has been amazing he put a polished handle on the end of it. It can reach to the bottom of all my BP guns even my 1726 Bess, Gee now that's a cleaning rod for sure... Try making one,
Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:
Ps It can't break and it's yellow also so I never loose it... :thumbsup:

I buy the polymer rods in 36" lengths, cut em down to about 2" longer than my barrel and use as a ramrod/cleaning rod. In other words, they stay with the rifle and just do double duty. I like this way because I can get a good grip on the rod while ramming or pulling. It hangs out in front of the barrel a couple of inches, but thats not a problem. My longest barrel is only about 34", but can probably get longer lengths.

i cut little notches in the last 2 in of my ramrods so i can get a grip while swabing barrel,,,,better than a slippery smooth one,,, :imo:

Back