• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range report - advice needed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would start by getting rid of the adjustable rear sight, I believe a fixed type come with the gun and using real BP with the fixed sight you file the front blade to raise the elevation, this will help keep the whole sight array lower to the barrel which I have found to be easier to keep consistant with untill you get the mirage effect but that is another story.

Spit patches are great for use on the range as they effectively swab the bore each time you load and anything that is pushed down on top of the powder charge becomes part of the ejecta when the shot is fired. The downside to a spit patch is it is no good for hunting because it will dry out and any spit on top of the charge side will contaminate a part of your charge. A greasy patch of some sort works best for hunting purposes.

I would start by getting rid of the adjustable rear sight, I believe a fixed type come with the gun and using real BP with the fixed sight you file the front blade to raise the elevation

Ditto on that but maybe not until the barrel is either lapped or shot enough to settle it in. Just my way of doing it.

The front blade on all the GPRs I've worked with were very wide. I filed my first one thinner but later went to purchasing thinner blades. They only cost a few bucks.

Do you wear glasses? If so are they bifocals? I had a problem much like yours and found out i could get much better groups without glasses. I need to see an eye vet to get a new pair thats not bifocals.

"Ditto on that but maybe not until the barrel is either lapped or shot enough to settle it in. Just my way of doing it."

Good point, leave the file in the box till the bore is lapped or shot in, and a thinner front blade IS a must on these guns IMHO

Accuracy was acceptable with mine when it was new. After shooting a couple hundred round balls thru it, she settled down and found it's sweet spot.

Back